• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Irish Heather

John Jameson

Above well said, Lee. Kudos.  :wink:

I was at the Irish Heather last night at closing time with Chef Fowke and Neil for a pint and some pot pies. Gosh, I miss the Heather. I hadn't been in ages. It was just nice to sit back and shoot the shit on a hard bench without the foo foo.

The worst possible thing happened, though. When I paid the tab at the end of our meal I accidently stiffed our server. I gave her 5 bucks on 65 when it was supposed to be 15. I only realised this when I was already across the bridge on my way home, going over the evening in my head. Why on earth did Neil drop a twenty on the table as we were getting up to go?

"What's that about?" I asked.  :huh:

"It's the tip, Andrew." he says.  :shock:

"But I already took care of the bill."  :unsure:

"Fine" he says with a shrug.  :laugh:

I felt like such a complete jackass when it all finally registered - and it was too late to go back. Waiters don't stiff other waiters, even if they cut you open and drool on your spleen. It's just not done. I spent the rest of my night (until 4am) like a deranged, fairweather criminal, all fidgety and manic with the guilt of Ages.

And just so we're clear (Neil and Brian), I went back to the Heather tonight to make peace with the person I'd mistakenly short-changed.

And now I can sleep. There is balance to the force.

Glad to hear the story has a happy ending. It would be quite ironic to see your name listed in the STD on Bitterwaitress.com. :laugh:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

ah... this thread never goes away... anyway my favourite local is my home away from home (approx. 35 metres nw). In there today for a great cheese plate two pints (real EC pints) of Strongbow... Thank God (the C of E one) I'm not banned.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

ah... this thread never goes away... anyway my favourite local is my home away from home (approx. 35 metres nw). In there today for a great cheese plate two pints (real EC pints) of Strongbow... Thank God (the C of E one) I'm not banned.

I gotta say, it was a relief walking in tonight and having Sean say hello. This thread had me worried I was part of the darken the doors club (a fine bunch then and now :smile: ). I'm hella glad I'm not. I like the place. I like Sean. The first time I ventured out to meet eGulleters was at Sean Heather's invitation. It was the first time I met Neil, Brian, Ling, Mr. Maw, HKDave, and many, many others. It was a great night, the first (for me) of what has become many. We tasted many cheeses and whiskies and never got a bill. Hands were shaken, little conspiratorial nods and "Who are you?" shrugs made the pints that came next all the more memorable. I still find that incredibly generous of him.

Anyway, I'm glad we shook hands. It was worth the trip across the bridge. :smile:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

As DOV is over, this thread is now locked. Please start another thread for reports about the Irish Heather. Please bear in mind that eGullet is a site for the discussion of food and drink not personal issues you may have with restaurateurs. Thanks.