• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chlorophyll

Mnehrling

We all, I'm sure have the infamous French Laundry cookbook and have tried many of the recipes inside. I was wondering, before I become too adventurous if anyone has tried to extract chlorophyll as Keller does for some of his sauces?

Is this worth the trouble? Is there anything beyond the unique value behind what it can add to food?

Edited by Mnehrling (log)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

When I do it, I pretty much just use spinach, as most pro kitchens do. 'Cause it helps stuff to be, you know, green.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes, I've done it many times. You'll find it is brighter than anything you've tried before.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

if you're gonna use clorophyll do'nt just extract it. it's a waste of food. jsut use the whole pureed product. personally i think it's a waste to do it just for the color. the natural color of a food can be a simple and noble thing. why try and "kick it up a notch" with wild and crazy colors that should belong? if you want the taste however than by all means go for it

bork bork bork

We all, I'm sure have the infamous French Laundry cookbook and have tried many of the recipes inside.  I was wondering, before I become too adventurous if anyone has tried to extract chlorophyll as Keller does for some of his sauces?

Is this worth the trouble?  Is there anything beyond the unique value behind what it can add to food?

What does he extract the chlorphyll from and what types of sauces does he use it for?

I can't give an opinion untill I know this.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I do know that cardoons and artichoke bottoms maintain color and flavor if they are soaked and poached in heavily parsleyed water. The resulting flavor doesn't have that peculiar tinny taste they acquire when soaked in acidic watert.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.