• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sorrento hotel for a reception --- opinions

Dearest E-gulleters,

I am looking for somewhere downtown or thereabouts that could serve as the venue for a decadal birthday. I'm thinking about 30 people, some from out of town who may need hotel rooms, some local, somewhere nice and elegant with good food.

I was thinking Tulios because I like their food; my mother is thinking the Fairmont (don't ask why--I think they've been to lots of weddings there) and my father suggested the Sorrento. I've never eaten there, but the rooms look pretty nice. Has anyone done an event there recently?

Or: Can someone suggest an alternative? I'm looking at about 80-90 max per person for food, drinks and other charges...

Thank you in advance,

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Dearest E-gulleters,

I am looking for somewhere downtown or thereabouts that could serve as the venue for a decadal birthday. I'm thinking about 30  people, some from out of town who may need hotel rooms, some local, somewhere nice and elegant with good food.

I was thinking Tulios because I like their food; my mother is thinking the Fairmont (don't ask why--I think they've been to lots of weddings there) and my father suggested the Sorrento. I've never eaten there, but the rooms look pretty nice. Has anyone done an event there recently?

Or: Can someone suggest an alternative? I'm looking at about 80-90 max per person for food, drinks and other charges...

Thank you in advance,

lalala

Is having the dinner and the hotel in the same location a requirement? If not Union has very reasonable prices for large groups, and is willing to work with you to shut down all or part of the restaurant provided it is not a Friday or Saturday. 30 people would not require them to shut down, most likely just section off the back of the dining room. I think that Union would just fit inside your budget.

I had an event at the Sorrento a few years ago in the penthouse which was really nice. The food was good and the service and event staff were great. Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember how much it was.

For about 30 Oceanaire also has a good looking space, I have an event I am considering them for but have not had one there yet. I liked the event staff at Troiani and at The Waterfront. The Troiani space is not particulary exciting or pretty though. The Waterfront has a really nice private dining room that looks out onto Elliot Bay, the staff was great and the food was actually the best that I have had at The Waterfront, take that as you will. If this dinner will be in the spring or summer you can also walk out of the dining room onto the pier from the private space which is a nice touch I thought.

Hope this helps.

Rocky

If the event and sleeping don't have to take place at the same event I have had large private dinners at Waterfront and they did a top notch job- better than eating there just as a regular diner by far.

Another place that will totally accomidate you is Serafina. I've been in there many times and seen large private groups- especially in the spring/summer they will dedicate the patio to you. I rented out the whole restaurant on a Sunday.

Kaspar's and Ponti Seafood Grill have excellent, interesting food, great private rooms, and reasonable prices. Neither is walking distance to a hotel, although you could weigh the short taxi ride for the out-of-towners against the easier/cheaper parking for the locals.

I would probably go with Union if that works for you, but if you're set on a hotel, you might consider the Warwick. They have a nice room at the top of the building that accomodates up to 30 for sit-down, has a great view to the north and the food is done by Brasserie Margaux. Pic & links below.

Web_23_BanquetNight_P6073723.jpg

Warwick Hotel/Brasserie Margaux Catering

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for all your help. It is a Saturday night, so Union won't work. However, all the options mentioned are great. I will start calling. The Warwick room looks really cool and I've heard good things about Brasserie Margaux.

Its funny, I eat out, but not much in Seattle.

I'll update you guys if you are interested.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

I had a smaller event at the Warwick and it was very successful. The room shown in tighe's response is very nice and probably just the right size for your group. The event's manager did an excellent job. PM me for some additional information if you are interested.