• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangladesh Libations?

kguetzow

Indian-ish food goes well with beer if you're looking to bring something boozy... but being in PA does make that more of a commitment since you have to buy by the case. Since you're in Allentown, Shangy's in Emmaus is in your back yard if you're looking for a staggering array of beers to choose from. I'd pick something fuller bodied, and not particularly overhopped... an ESA sort of beer, or maybe a belgian strong blonde like Duvel, or Leffe Blond.

Since Bangladesh is a muslim country, however, I'd wager that there is no tradition of pairing booze with their cuisine outside of whatever colonials there did back before 1948... and I don't know any of them to ask. Is your colleague a practicing muslim, and if so, do they strictly observe the no booze rules?

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Indian-ish food goes well with beer if you're looking to bring something boozy... but being in PA does make that more of a commitment since you have to buy by the case.  Since you're in Allentown, Shangy's in Emmaus is in your back yard if you're looking for a staggering array of beers to choose from.  I'd pick something fuller bodied, and not particularly overhopped... an ESA sort of beer, or maybe a belgian strong blonde like Duvel, or Leffe Blond.

Since Bangladesh is a muslim country, however, I'd wager that there is no tradition of pairing booze with their cuisine outside of whatever colonials there did back before 1948... and I don't know any of them to ask.  Is your colleague a practicing muslim, and if so, do they strictly observe the no booze rules?

Thanks for the reply. Shangy's is closed today so I went to th Bethlehem Brew Works and got a couple of the 1/2 gallon take out jugs. They have a golden ale (basic and simple) and an Apricot coriander brew, should be a decent match up.

How was the Southern Tier? I may try it.

Kurt:

How was the Apricot/Coriander brew? That certainly sounds intriguing. Was it a good match to Bangladeshi cuisine?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Kurt:

How was the Apricot/Coriander brew?  That certainly sounds intriguing.  Was it a good match to Bangladeshi cuisine?

It was a nice match. Not incredible but good. This Brew pub has ok beer but not my favorite. I'm wondering if these "Brew Pub/Restaurant" places don't age their beer enough? Too fresh? They all have that lack of cohesion to their beer. The flavours seem seperate and obvious. Does this make sense?

kurt