• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wolf Neck Farm, ME

Fred

Morning Folks,

I'm currently a Mainer living in exile and would love to know if anyone knows of a way to get Wolf Neck Farm beef/sausage etc. online or over the phone? Also are they still raising Venison does anyone know? Their's was some of the best I've ever had.

Cheers-

Hiya Fred,

Sorry about your exile, I'm sure you had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes: The venerable Wolfe's Neck Farm doesn't appear to have an on-line order capability but on the left side of their site, note the "Beef Locater" selection. Type in your zip and they will show the closest purveyor of their fabulous products. They say there are 167 stores.

After they appeared at the Portland Public Market, I refused to buy meat anywhere else. Then they had to close up as the overhead was too much, but I have found certain cuts at our local Shaw's and Hannaford supermarkets... not the venison however (amazing, I agree).

If you are too far away from a purveyor, maybe there is another way to get some. Keep us posted.

Johnnyd

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks Johnnyd-

My exile was self inflicted...You know how the saying goes, "spend the first part of your life trying to get out and then the rest trying to get back in"

The only spot within 50 miles is a meat distributer in Baltimore, as I am in the Washington DC area. Oh well, and I'm also bitter about the shrimp season going on without me too.

Thanks for the explaination as to why they left the public market, I was wondering why that was.

I got to hand it to them for trying the grassroots approach, but I guess the attention went more toward the animals and not plant, marketing, finance. I really don't know. They seem to look for volunteers a lot.

I hear you about "what they say"! Here's to having you home soon. They freeze the shrimp nowadays. Next best to having 'em off the boat. I recommend badgering your favorite local fish store into carrying them. :wink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com