• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lowcountry Oyster Festival: Charleston, SC

Gifted Gourmet

Low Country Oyster Festival

Imagine.... 65,000 pounds of oyster! That's right! Two tractor-trailer loads full of single selects at that will roll into Boone Hall Plantation on Sunday, January 30, 2005 for the World's Largest Oyster Roast sponsored ...  Local chefs will submit their secret oyster specialties to a team of culinary judges. The Oyster Shucking Contest will determine who can shuck the largest number of oysters in a designated period of time. Also, the contestant who eats the most amount of oysters, in the designated time period will win the Oyster Eating Contest.

Proceeds from the Lowcountry Oyster Festival will benefit the Charleston Ronald McDonald House, Hollings Cancer Center, The Travel Council and Charleston County Science Materials Resource Center.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

GG:  Any tips as to where Boone Hall Plantation is?  I'm only a couple of hours south and could attend.  Sounds like fun.

Absolutely, Dale! Take a look:

directions and maps from a few major SE cities :biggrin:

main website for Boone Hall Plantation :wink:

A lovely place, it appears .. and that combined with the oyster roast? Priceless! :laugh:

Just returned from Pawleys on NYD. Being my second home i've managed to find some good eats. Did the oyster roast "clusters" in the pans at Nance's in Murrells Inlet- always Great! Local oysters only! Always make our way up to www.tylerscove.com for stuffed Lowcountry Flounder with cheese grits on the side. I'm in love with Independant Seafood Dock in Georgetown. Just a dockside seafood market right on the bay that brings in Grouper, Flounder, shrimp etc all day right from their shabby old shrimp trawlers docked right there. I managed to get two lb of FRESH shrimp from Myrtle to ORD without the typical body cavity search! Even fell into the new Waffle House there the other night...In all my years down there, the farthest i've been south was Mt Pleasant and that was to pick up Krystals for my Dad who passed a couple days later. McClennaville many times though. Basically what i'm saying is that i love the Low Country for the Oysters, creek shrimp, fine people and everything else but i'll still be working in Chicago so the house in Pawleys will just be for long weekends and vacation for now. Would love to attend the Oysterpalooza in Charleston next year- we'll see.

Just returned from Pawleys on NYD. Being my second home i've managed to find some good eats. Did the oyster roast "clusters" in the pans at Nance's in Murrells Inlet- always Great! Local oysters only!

Would love to attend the Oysterpalooza in Charleston next year- we'll see.

Great details on these places and their seafood, Thrak! Thank you!

Can I quote you on your terminology "Oysterpalooza"?? :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I booked our hotel reservations today. I attended this festival several years ago, but did not get a chance to shuck my own b/c my children were younger and not willing to allow me the pleasure.

Now, my 16-year-old daughter, who loves raw oysters, is raring to go!

We plan on returning to one of our favorite haunts, Bowen's Island, if the weather permits. While I agree this is very basic fare, there is not much that can beat sitting on that deck looking out over the salt marsh during sunset.

I think we will try 39 Rue de Jean for dinner, since they have burgers for my difficult 13-year-old.

And no visit to Charleston would be complete without breakfast at the Bookstore Cafe.