• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Dalmore Cigar Malt

NulloModo

So, yesterday, coming home from work, I decided to drop by the liquor store for a little refreshment for the weekend. I was planning on picking up a bottle of Knob Creek or Booker's, but I found myself wandering to the scotch wall instead. I recalled reading something about Dalmore's Cigar Malt as having marmalade and sherry overtones, and upon seeing a 750ml bottle on sale for $25, I had to pick some up.

So far, I am pretty pleased with it. It is certainly a medium bodied scotch, not smokey and deep, but not light and biting either. It is very smooth, and certainly does have that sherry finish. I have yet to try it with a cigar, but for anyone out there looking for a pleasant, not to heavy, not to light scotch with a subtle sweetness behind it, this is certainly worth picking up a bottle of if you can find it for a good price.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that both Dalmore's are fine whiskies and very good values. I find them to be on the sweeter side, which I like. Both are very good with a cigar (what single malt isn't when it comes right down to it?). I have drunk the cigar malt neat as well and it almost has a cognac taste to it. One of the better values out there!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I stopped in the liquor store on the way home last night and picked up a bottle of this as well. Must say I was impressed. It was a little sharper on the tongue than my usual scotch (Glenmorangie 12yr Madeira) but went very nicely with a bit of ice.

My father just gave me a bottle of this for Christmas. I'm partial to bourbon, and don't know a whole lot about scotch, but I do enjoy drinking the Cigar Malt. Unfortunately, I know even less about cigars than I do about scotch; perhaps someone can suggest a pairing?

In vino veritas.

Unfortunately, I know even less about cigars than I do about scotch; perhaps someone can suggest a pairing?

Are you asking for a cigar recommendation? If so, I'll recommend a Torano Excalibur, a Romeo y Julieta Reserve or maybe a CAO L`Anniversaire eXtreme. I honestly find the Dalmore Cigar Malt to be almost too sweet...like a liqueur. On a plus side, that sweetness does lend itself to some nice pairings with some of the more robust cigars. :smile:

I'm the other man who ate everything...

Unfortunately, I know even less about cigars than I do about scotch; perhaps someone can suggest a pairing?

Are you asking for a cigar recommendation? If so, I'll recommend a Torano Excalibur, a Romeo y Julieta Reserve or maybe a CAO L`Anniversaire eXtreme. I honestly find the Dalmore Cigar Malt to be almost too sweet...like a liqueur. On a plus side, that sweetness does lend itself to some nice pairings with some of the more robust cigars. :smile:

I am also quite a fan of this.

I would actually recommend a CAO Brazilia or a Partigas Black Label as both have a full body that actually enhances the sweetness of the Scotch.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

• 4 weeks later...

I am also quite a fan of this.

I would actually recommend a CAO Brazilia or a Partigas Black Label as both have a full body that actually enhances the sweetness of the Scotch.

Padron Anniversario Maduro would be my choice (If you can find them) I always grab a box or two in Myrtle Beach on my golf trip if they have them. NJ tobacco tax is the worst.