• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jasper --

jo-mel

A friend (Boston Babe ) and I had lunch at Jasper, out on 46 in Parsippany. They've only been there about 4 months (according to the very nice manager)

The dishes we had were great! Winter Melon Soup, Scallops with Black Pepper Sauce, and Eggplant with garlic Sauce. Not way-out stuff, but excellently prepared and the flavors were wonderful.

Because I ordered in Chinese, the waiter gave us pickled vegetables instead of those fried things with the duck sauce.

But what I liked was their listing of 5 or 6 Casserole dishes, which I'm going to try next time. Also the manager said that they will make whatever you want. They didn't have my favorite Sichuan Pickle with Shredded Pork Soup on the menu, but he said they could make it to order. Can't beat that!!

Visually, the place is beautiful! There were only a couple of tables of diners, but one was all Chinese.

It is right in the small group of stores where Top Quality Chinese Market is (formerly Maxims)

So.. its.. Sichuan?

No. It really is a mix of regions. It doesn't have the earthiness of the wonderful food at China 46. A pretty general menu, but It had food that someone paid attention to.

Here is a link. You can click on 'menu' on the upper right.

http://www.ardore.com/listing.asp?r=jasper14&c=All&m=a&l=J

What really caught my attention was the casserole list -- but unfortunately, that is not included on the link's menu listings.

I will go again and try a casserole. Also, the lunch menu has Twice Cooked Pork, and I want to ask if the 'pork' is pork belly, or just lean pork. The choice will make a difference to me.

Is this another place with a separate "Chinese" menu like Hunan Cottage? The online menu looks like typical Chinese American "fancy" fare.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Is this another place with a separate "Chinese" menu like Hunan Cottage? The online menu looks like typical Chinese American "fancy" fare.

I didn't see a separate Chinese menu, but then--- I didn't ask. The Chinese group was sitting too far away for me to see what they were eating.

But yes--- pretty general selections, but it was one of the best garlic eggplant I've ever had. Same with the scallops.

I will know more when I try the casseroles. One of my favorite sandy pot dish is Chicken with Chinese Sausage, and the manager said that is what the casserole is. There were others on the list -- but I forgot what they were. Lobster with vermacelli?

where on rt 46 is jasper?

46 West in Parsippany. Do you know where Top Quality -- the Chinese market that used to be Maxims is? It is the next building to the West.

On Route 46, going West, you pass under the double Rt.80 overpass, and go to the light .2 of a mile. go thru the light and .2 of a mile on the right (pass Arlington strip mall) you will see Top Quality and Dunkin Donuts. Turn in here, and Jasper is ahead of you on the left.

Coming from the West, going East, you pass Beverwyck Road. You will see the Dunkin Donuts on the left, but you'll have to jug-handle around.

Here is a map:

http://www.mapblast.com/(ez3kmw45ibxdurnn1...2c+NJ+07054|L1|

• 1 year later...

Has anyone been to this restaurant recently? I went twice this past month and was very impressed. This is another one of those places with an extensive "Chinese" menu - that is, if you ask for it.

So far I've tried three soups - Pork with Pickled Cabbage, Subgum Winter Melon and West Lake Beef Soup. They were all the best renditions I've ever had. For entrees, I've sampled their Salt and Pepper Pork Chops and Steamed Chicken with Ginger and Scallion Sauce. Both dishes were perfectly cooked and very tasty.

I cannot wait to sample some of their seafood dishes. I saw a couple a few tables away with a very large bowl of steamed clams served on top of some sort of silver pedestal. The presentation alone made me want to order it on the spot.

HI cannot wait to sample some of their seafood dishes. I saw a couple a few tables away with a very large bowl of steamed clams served on top of some sort of silver pedestal. The presentation alone made me want to order it on the spot.

Sounds like a hot pot. If it is, coals are placed in the middle and around the central chimney is a trough filled with broth and noodles and seafood and other goodies that cook while you wait...if indeed that is what it was, order it and find out how good Chinese food can be...(this is one of my favorite dishes and one I ordered often in Taipei)

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers