• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tito Al's Choice Cracklins

NulloModo

Heya,

So as I was browsing around an ethnic grocery today, I stumbled upon a package of 'Tito Al's Choice Fried Chicken Skin'. Seeing as I love pork rinds (and cracklings) and that Tito Al's is one of the better brands of Pork Rinds I have sampled, I just had to pick them up.

chik.jpg

They come with a packet of hot sauce, with is a perfect match to these melt-in-your-mouth creamy, crunchy, salty, cracklings. Knowing how much eG members seem to love fried chicken skin, I figured I would put this out there. These things are definately worth picking up if you ever stumble upon a bag.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Oh. My. God.

What took them so long????!!!

I need to find these things!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

You may be in luck. the only reason I was able to find these things in Delaware is because I work on an AFB, which brings in an interesting international population, and therefore has a much larger than you would expect number of ethnic groceries surrounding it. I found these at a place that is just randomly ethnic, not asian, not spanish, not indian, but a blend of all three, if you are anywhere near one of the CO Military installations, you might be able to find something similar ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

They should get rid of the pork rinds and put this product on the shelf. Is it just like a more crispy version of fresh fried chicken skin?

If you can imagine the skin pulled from a piece of traditional southern fried chicken, but minus all of the breading, and a little crispier, that is what these are like.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

How would one go about making one's own chicken cracklings? Just fry up a bunch of chicken skin the same way you would make lard?

I adore homemade pork cracklings.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Gauging by the name of this product, I'd hazard a guess that it's produced by Filipinos. It could certainly be Hispanic/Latino produced as well, but I can certainly attest that Filipinos love their "chicharon". My caucasian husband always rolls his eyes whenever I eat it dipped in cane vinegar, crushed garlic, chilis, salt and pepper. Have never seen this chicken version but will certainly keep my eyes peeled for it. You'd be able to find pork chicharon in any Filipino store, either plain, spicy or in various flavours. Yummy. Now I have to go and track me down a bag!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

They aren't too hard at all, which is one thing I love about them. The Tito Al's Pork Cracklings, while having some of the hard pieces you would expect, also have a lot of the nice softer fattier ones, but none of those overpuffed ones that you get by the bag from Herr's and the like, so worth a shot if you ever see a bag.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I once ordered a box full of random japanese snack items via some mail-order company (or maybe via the internet). I remember some of the more odd chip based products being squid and wasabi flavored rice puffs, and seaweed and shrimp flavored cripsy twisty things. I have pretty open tastebuds, but even I felt both of those were vile. I guess one almost has to grow up on them...

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Man, I haven't found these yet - but I made a roast chicken the other day. Ate the crispy bits right out of the oven, then peeled the rest off and fried it up in a pan to make my own chicken cracklin's.

Forgive me - I'm sure this is nothing new to you folks, but they were a revelation! If Tito Al's snacks taste even half as good, I'm going to have to lay in a good supply...

As for weird-tasting chips/crisps: I've never had squid-flavored, but my friend's Thai restaurant back in Lawrence, KS serves shrimp crisps w/ some kind of sauce as an appetizer. They are really good. Maybe you should try some different shrimp chips? Perhaps they're just not to your taste, NulloModo...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

Yeah, but the Taquitos people seem to turn up their noses at all exotic flavors. What's not to like about cuttlefish or seaweed chips?

They also have Pickled Onion Monster Munch at no. 4, which is highly dubious. I love those things (or used to, when I could get them).

I dunno, they might be, I like shrimp, and I liked chips, I could've just ordered a bad bag. My problem with them is that they had a very powerful 'artificial' taste and smell that turned me off from them.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

How would one go about making one's own chicken cracklings?  Just fry up a bunch of chicken skin the same way you would make lard?

I take the chicken's skin and fat, cut it into small pieces and place it in a saucepan on medium heat. the fat will render out and the skin will fry in it. Awesome!! Even better with duck.

MMMMMMMM! Duck cracklings! Haven't tried those yet, but I bet they're great!

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

How would one go about making one's own chicken cracklings?  Just fry up a bunch of chicken skin the same way you would make lard?

I take the chicken's skin and fat, cut it into small pieces and place it in a saucepan on medium heat. the fat will render out and the skin will fry in it. Awesome!! Even better with duck.

Yeah, baby! Thanks :) I enjoy having a nice little collection of fats and cracklin's... got pork & bacon already, ready to move on to the poultry.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope