• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Burton's Turkey

Dejah

I was saddened to hear Pierre Burton died. I enjoyed watching him on Front Page Challenge and reading his books and articles.

In one of the tributes to this most memorable Canadian, Adrienne Clarkson mentioned Mr. Burton's adaptation of Morton Thompson Christmas Turkey.

Has anyone ever tried this recipe? I have it printed out now and will try it out on the family this Christmas.

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried out this 4 page recipe.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The recipe is in toaday's Globe and Mail (Style Section) Dec. 4, and looks like it's worth trying. Apart from the elaborate stuffings, which would be good for large dinners, the main secret is a spicy mustard paste basted on the bird after it is browned. This will keep flavours, juices, and aromas inside the bird, until it is peeled off at the table.

I'll bet a lot of Canadian kitchens will give Pierre"s recipe a shot this year. Another part of a great legacy.

Definitely an interesting recipe from a terribly interesting man. Perhaps some Canadians are more familiar with his technique in his recent demonstrations on Rick Mercer's Monday Night Report???

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I didn't see that, but I'm old enough to remember his finger slicing incident on the Gzowski show when he was trying to tell everyone how good the Cuisinart was!

Excellent anecdote! I knew of the incident, but couldn’t remember where/when it happened.

He and his wife Janet were also cookbook authors. We stuck a quote from their Canadian Food Guide (1974) on Gremolata, which I found in the OCF under the “Canada” entry.

Not merely a Great Canadian, but also a Great Gourmand.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I love Pierre Berton's body of work and his "Canadian-ness" and I really do have a copy of his "Canadian Food Guide". (Favourite recipe is his corned beef hash). Having said that, the turkey recipe as printed in the Globe and Mail yesterday sounds wayyy to elaborate and time consuming for mys style. It is only a damned turkey, after all. :huh::rolleyes: