• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falafel and Shwarma - Ottawa to Toronto

CharityCase

Just saw a few of the postings in the Middle East forum that got me thinking.

Despite the abundance (Market Saturation anyone?) of Shwarma places/palaces/kings/queens in the Ottawa area, not a single one of them makes a good falafel. I've asked to have fresh falafel straight out of the oil before and gotten either an already-cooked falafel tossed back in the oil (understandable, but not the same) or "extra charge sir".

I'm also anti-toasting, and yet every place seems to do it. I know there's some subtle variations here and there but for the record, Shwarma City on Bank St has a so-so falafel and have made it fresh before. Still, Aida's falafel is almost a better option.

Please help. Where can I get a good falafel in Ottawa, Toronto or in-between?

Just saw a few of the postings in the Middle East forum that got me thinking.

Despite the abundance (Market Saturation anyone?) of Shwarma places/palaces/kings/queens in the Ottawa area, not a single one of them makes a good falafel. I've asked to have fresh falafel straight out of the oil before and gotten either an already-cooked falafel tossed back in the oil (understandable, but not the same) or "extra charge sir".

I'm also anti-toasting, and yet every place seems to do it. I know there's some subtle variations here and there but for the record, Shwarma City on Bank St has a so-so falafel and have made it fresh before. Still, Aida's falafel is almost a better option.

Please help. Where can I get a good falafel in Ottawa, Toronto or in-between?

Two Good Falafel in places in Toronto: King Falafel on Bathurst at Eglinton (SW corner) and Sababa's on Steeles in between Yonge and Bathurst are two of my favourites. The latter has awesome homemade pitas too. Mehron Brother's used to make the best balls and use Sababa pitas, but haven't tried theirs since they changed name. I don't care for the greek style rolled pitas.

I can't stand the dry turkey shavings that a lot of places call schwarma. I prefer lamb and large shavings or cuttings.

Mark

There's a place, somewhere in Toronto, called Sarah's Falafel and Schwarma. Or maybe Sarah's Schwarma and Falafel. I can't remember now. It has been almost 5 years since I ate there, but I still remember it as the best I had ever had. Their baklava is simply wonderful, as well. Not too sweet, and the phyllo is still in crispy flakes rather than a soggy mess.

I concur, most falafel places in Toronto are lacking. Aidas is good, Sababa mentioned upthread was too last time I was there (6 - 8 months ago). Beware though, last place I ordered it looked promising -- till they put MAYONNAISE on it. :angry::blink::shock:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I like King Shwarma on queen & spadina. Yes the place looks like a total dump, but the shwarmas are excelllent. I've never had the falafel there though....

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole

I like King Shwarma on queen & spadina. Yes the place looks like a total dump, but the shwarmas are excelllent. I've never had the falafel there though....

Hmm..There's also falafel world in Bloor West but it's sub-par I think.

Does Jerusalem's still exist? Excellent Middle-Eastern food from what I recall although it's been years since I was there.

Hmm..There's also falafel world in Bloor West but it's sub-par I think.

Does Jerusalem's still exist? Excellent Middle-Eastern food from what I recall although it's been years since I was there.

The Jerusalem's at Finch and Leslie is Buffet now and sub par. I used to go to the Jerusalem's on Eglinton West near the Allen, but haven't been in a long time. Last time I went they were a tad expensive for falafel and nothing to write home about.

Mark

I used to live in Bloor West Village and have been to Falafel World quite a few times. While the place is not mind blowing, it's honestly quite good, The hummus is brilliant and the falafel are very good too but only when they've just been done....

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche