• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner wines

Florida Jim

On an evening that featured as pretty a sunset as I have ever seen, George came to dinner.

With crackers and cheese:

2002 Weinrieder, Weissburgunder Hohenleiten II:

14.5% pinot blanc is not something I’m used to; sort of Sine Qua Non does pinot blanc. Deep gold, almost coppery; light honey and floral aromatics with some pineapple and stone accents; viscous, rich and bright in the mouth, somewhat alcoholic, concentrated and intense; too much alcohol cuts in on the mid-palate and the alcohol on the finish burns out some of the flavors there. Drink young and with food ‘cause the alcohol will kill this one fast. (14.5% is the stated alcohol on the label; I am betting it is actually well above that figure; two glasses of this and I’m hammered.)

Thanks Bob.

With meat loaf and mashed potatoes:

2001 Jamet, Cote-Rotie:

Good, ripe syrah with discernable Cote-Rotie aromatics and some complexity but this is in pieces (interesting pieces, but pieces nonetheless) with some wood sticking out and a bit of “slick” to the package. I assume that I’m just too early to the party but this was less than I expected from this producer; perhaps, time will make the difference.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com