• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corkscrews

Gil Shamir x

• 2 years later...
I'm loving the new Rabbit corkscrew. Sophisticated, yes. Expensive, yes. But 100% reliable. Also, suffering from carpal tunnel, this baby is a life saver! <p>-----

Carolyn Tillie

FYI - This corkscrew is currently half-off at Amazon, $40:

B00004SQ0K.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg Metrokane Rabbit Corkscrew, Black
or Silver: B00005NPHL.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg Metrokane Rabbit Corkscrew, Silver

I have two Screwpulls that I'm fond of but rarely use. My "always-in-my-purse" corkscrew is a curved stainless steel waiter's knife that feels really good in my hand, is well balanced, has a very sharp foil knife and is ergonomically correct for either right or left handed people. Being a southpaw, I really appreciate that.

I have one of those lovely expensive horn handled jobs too and it looks better than it functions in my opinion.

My favorite type of corkscrew is a standard waiter's knife with a hinged lever portion that allows you to start with the "shorter" part and then switch to the longer lever once the cork is started out of the bottle. Works like a charm on those long corked German and Alsace wines and rarely trashes the cork unless it's really disintegrating already. In which case the cork will break or turn to dust no matter what you're using.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love the rabbit corkscrew! I can finally open a bottle of wine without hubby's help. All previous openers created broken corks or deposited the cork in the bottle. My remaining problem is height. I am only 5'5" and finding a suitable location to place the bottle and not loose all leverage can be challenging. Those long necked bottles are really tough! The little doohickie for cutting the foil is great.

KathyM

I'm a rabbit user. Bought our current one at Target for $20 during the holiday season and it works very well, the only issue being that it will sometimes poke through a shorter cork. Beware of those which have a plastic collar for holding the neck of the bottle. They will break eventually.

I bought one of those air canister cork poppers too. Horrible!! It sprayed wine all over me and my kitchen. Fortunately it was a Riesling rather than a red. The wine left in the bottle was literally carbonated and ruined. When I returned the opener the woman refused to believe my story, saying it was their best opener. In hindsight I'm just glad the bottle itself didn't explode. Was a huge mess though. Never again.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

My favorite type of corkscrew is a standard waiter's knife with a hinged lever portion that allows you to start with the "shorter" part and then switch to the longer lever once the cork is started out of the bottle. Works like a charm on those long corked German and Alsace wines and rarely trashes the cork unless it's really disintegrating already. In which case the cork will break or turn to dust no matter what you're using.

That's the only corkscrew I use, they work great.

My favorite type of corkscrew is a standard waiter's knife with a hinged lever portion that allows you to start with the "shorter" part and then switch to the longer lever once the cork is started out of the bottle.  Works like a charm on those long corked German and Alsace wines and rarely trashes the cork unless it's really disintegrating already.  In which case the cork will break or turn to dust no matter what you're using.

That's the only corkscrew I use, they work great.

Since I got one of those my Chateau Lagiole sits in the drawer

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 1 month later...

I've been using a Screwpull Lever model for quite some time and loving every minute of it.

Just as an aside, the metal portion a the top literally snapped in two the other day. I contacted Le Crueset, even though the opener is long out of warranty and I haven't the faintest idea where the purchase reciept is, they issued me a return authorization nr and said they would replace it.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

The first time a friend opened a bottle with one of those I was fascinated. The second bottle, I gave it a try only to have a whisper thin stream of red wine spray up and onto my taupe coloured suit jacket. :angry: I forgot the wine, but not the stain -- that I swear I can still see even after much dry cleaning.

He giggled stating that on occasion some bottles of wine may have a wee bit of pressure.

Not sure if his explanation was correct, but I opted not to risk the chance again and use one of the bunch of waiter's "wine keys" I've been given by wine distributors. :wacko:

Is there an experience that the collective might have with regard to the type of corkpuller that consists of a couple of thin metal shims that you work down between the cork and the neck of the bottle?

I've never been able to get them to work. I always seem to push the cork down into the bottle as I'm rocking the metal shims between the bottle and the cork.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Is there an experience that the collective might have with regard to the type of corkpuller that consists of a couple of thin metal shims that you work down between the cork and the neck of the bottle?

It's easy enough to get the cork out with them, but there is a much greater risk of mangling an old or otherwise fragile cork than with a screwpull-type device. The vertical shear force applied to the sides of the cork during insertion followed by the tangential shear force applied during extraction is a recipe for weakening the surface of the cork at the contact points, and in my experience, even new corks often will tear or crumble a bit.

waiters-friend-translucent.jpg

$7 waiter's friend.

I think its what the majority of sommeliers around the world use. Cheap and dependable.

edit: or maybe they use a more expensive one. don't know. Same type of lever though.

Edited by stephenc (log)

As someone who opens lots of bottles every night, I am a confirmed user of the 2 step waiter's corkscrew. A short boot for leverage, the longer boot then extracts the cork. The wine shop where I buy them has the basic black model and a selection of cool, heavier bodied models as well in granite, stainless steel, brass, etc.

Mark

As someone who opens lots of bottles every night, I am a confirmed user of the 2 step waiter's corkscrew. A short boot for leverage, the longer boot then extracts the cork. The wine shop where I buy them has the basic black model and a selection of cool, heavier bodied models as well in granite, stainless steel, brass, etc.

How quickly do you wear them out?

Every few months. The pins that hold them together get loose. Either on the boot or on the screw. I've worn out several LaGuioles. The screw breaks off. They're pretty, but not practical for opening lots of bottles.

Mark

the metal portion a the top literally snapped in two

This happens to most of my corkscrews. First the screw straightens out over a few months, and then the whole thing snaps off at the shank. I think it's due to iggerance rather than superior muscle-power, but it's an embarrassing problem for a woman to have to admit to.

Then a friend recommended an Adler corkscrew with the dreaded "drillbit" type of screw. You mount the housing over the neck of the bottle, screw the "bit" down and then just keep up the good work, and the screw and cork magically ascend out of the bottle. I've had it for nearly 2 years now, and have utterly failed to break it. Haven't shattered any corks with it yet, either.

Every few months. The pins that hold them together get loose. Either on the boot or on the screw. I've worn out several LaGuioles. The screw breaks off. They're pretty, but not practical for opening lots of bottles.

Thanks. Now I don't feel so bad, what with all the corkscrews I've screwed up.

• 1 year later...

Would I be booed if I said it depends on the wine and it's age?

The waiter's corkscrew is classic - try one with five and not four curls

The rabbit is great.

Less expensive and my fave is the Screwpul

If the cork is old, there is nothing better than the ah, so