• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Embarrasing admission

Keith Talent

I would love to join the tour of the Asian markets and restaurants - definitely a void in my culinary education. But not sure about the fat furry guy. I know some would think he's cute but I like less facial/body hair.

Maw aussi.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Jamie, I like Pearl Castle three/four doors down from Ellie for lunch right now. Corner of Cambie and Sexsmith. 6.95 and the mention of my name gets you Chili chicken, rice, three side salads/pickle dishes, plus two frozen creme filled puff pastry for desert. Room looks more like a hip lounge than a cheap and cheerful lunch joint. Plus, as an added bonus, they play Canto-pop of the type that doesn't make your ears bleed, something I wasn't aware existed. Also, I think they have a Cambie street location for the suburb-phobic, but honestly it's best in my opinion to go full pull, stroll into the location that garners quizitive looks from the clientele seeing a Caucasian walk in.

I love Pearl Castle - I hadn't been since they remodeled it some months ago and discovered that their food is REALLY good! It's actually a bubble tea place that also serves food (a lot of bubble tea places are starting to serve food now and therefore open earlier). The fried rice is especially good - especially the Taiwanese sausage one (Taiwanese sausage is sweeter than normal Chinese sausage). They use Taiwanese rice, which is similar to (if not the same as) Japanese rice, and they're really generous with the amount of sausage they put in. Plus it's a big bowl, for only $6.95. You're right, they do have a place on Cambie, but their original location is at the food court inside Parker Place (I think it's still called Elephant Castle there). You should try their drinks sometime - if you like bubble tea. I find that they don't make their drinks from that powdered stuff (unlike many other bubble tea places), which is of course good. The reason why their music isn't too bad is probably because they play mostly Taiwanese music, which is, in my opinion, generally easier on the ears than Cantopop. Hardly any new singers in Hong Kong can actually sing...

Oh hey - then I can admit I've never eaten at Wendy's, KFC or Taco Bell. I take it as a sign that the dogs aren't even interested in discarded KFC or Taco Bell wrappers - they can't get enough of McD's garbage, though. Now there's an interesting poll - which fast food joints do our pets most prefer?

ETA - okay - ouch - sorry - but I didn't say I didn't like McD's - I have always found their fries addictive and find the McChicken a total guilty pleasure - I wasn't trying to be snobby - my dogs like the left-overs and wrappers from anything I bring home from non-fast food places just as well.

And I'd like to add to my list - Araxi's and Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

This anti-fast-food snobbery is, well, kinda lame.

Actually, scratch that, it's not kinda lame, it's entirely lame.

It's seems roughly analagous to the implicit sense of moral superiority dirty hippy vegetarians like to throw at us animal eaters.

I'll proudly stand and say there's few things finer than Taco Bell while on a stateside road trip. Double decker taco supreme for me please.

McDonalds may be too downmarket for some of us, but to deny they know more about good fries than most pomme frite purveyors in town is the truth. I'll bet that at ANY restarant in Vamcouver, McDonalds fries could be subbed for the house frite on any plate and there wouldn't be a single complaint, nor would anyone suspect it.

And don't even get me started on the superiority of In'n'out Burger.

McDonalds may be too downmarket for some of us, but to deny they know more about good fries than most pomme frite purveyors in town is the truth. I'll bet that at ANY restarant in Vamcouver, McDonalds fries could be subbed for the house frite on any plate and there wouldn't be a single complaint, nor would anyone suspect it.

And, in fact, McDonald's fries are substituted occasionally in upstream restaurants. I was at a dinner at the old Moustache Cafe in North Vancouver when a dinner-mate had a sudden pang for steak frites. Only one problem--there was no discussion whatsover of the latter item on the menu. "No problem," said Mikel Kantor, the very amusing waiter (now maitre d' at Elixir). Kantor had chef fire a steak, then galloped two blocks west, supersized, and plated the meal. For clarity, he left the fries--excuse me, the frites--in their jolly red container.

"Now, I don't suppose you have any ketchup?" my dining companion asked.

"I'll be right back," Kantor announced to all.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Hold on there bub.

I too, love a good juicy burger and quality fries. In fact I'm heading out to Fairfield Fish and Chips here in Victoria for one of their juicy burgers (deluxe) with fries (proudly fried in beef tallow - that's real beef tallow, not beef flavour).

But really, take a deep breath, McDonald's fries are absolutely awful. They taste like cardboard that has been soaked in liquid, formed into a fry shape, deep fried, and tossed in too much salt. Have you ever had one cold? There is nothing even remotely associated with potato flavour or texture.

The general public has lost touch with their taste buds. This sad lack of connection can de remedied - I've heard - by brushing ones tongue daily with a tooth brush.

Here's to good frites.

Shelora

But really, take a deep breath, McDonald's fries are absolutely awful. They taste like cardboard that has been soaked in liquid, formed into a fry shape, deep fried, and tossed in too much salt. Have you ever had one cold? There is nothing even remotely associated with potato flavour or texture.

A little OT perhaps? Having said that ....

... has anyone seen the "extras" on the Supersize Me DVD? You'll never eat those fries again!

Getting back on topic ...

I've never been to William Tell either :hmmm: I mention that because based on all the press it's been receiving (anniversary and all) it sounds like I'm one of the few who hasn't.

A.

A little OT perhaps? Having said that ....

... has anyone seen the "extras" on the Supersize Me DVD? You'll never eat those fries again!

Getting back on topic ...

I've never been to William Tell either :hmmm: I mention that because based on all the press it's been receiving (anniversary and all) it sounds like I'm one of the few who hasn't.

A.

No fry zone?

Shelora I too, love a good juicy burger and quality fries. In fact I'm heading out to Fairfield Fish and Chips here in Victoria for one of their juicy burgers (deluxe) with fries (proudly fried in beef tallow - that's real beef tallow, not beef flavour).

McDonald's used to fry their spuds in beef tallow, but alas, political correctness intercepted umami.

As for the fact that you've had 40 years to visit Erwin Doebeli, Daddy-A, only time Will Tell. But my suggestion is that you take the family for the Swiss Farmer's Dinner which plays every Sunday. Free advice: Don't eat lunch beforehand.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

But to bring us back on topic, who's up for a tour of Asian markets and restaurants in Richmond?

Richmond, that's where the airport is right? I thought I needed a passport to go there. I can honestly say I have never dined anywhere in Richmond, except at the airport Starbucks, and that's not really dining. For some reason when I think of going out to eat, Richmond is usually the farthest place from my mind (and house).

As far as all of the other places on my list, there are many: C (at the top of the list), Bishop's, Tojo's, Pear Tree, all of the 'good' Italian restaurants in the city because I almost never go out for Italian (at least not expensive Italian), and probably a hundred others that I have forgotten.

But to bring us back on topic, who's up for a tour of Asian markets and restaurants in Richmond?

Richmond, that's where the airport is right? I thought I needed a passport to go there. I can honestly say I have never dined anywhere in Richmond, except at the airport Starbucks, and that's not really dining. For some reason when I think of going out to eat, Richmond is usually the farthest place from my mind (and house).

I would venture that the dining in Richmond, in terms of diversity, value and even the odd whiff of exotica, over the past decade and with the exception of Vnacouver proper, has developed more strongly than in any other area of BC.

But now I want to prove that thesis, and eat my way through it more thoroughly. We'll discuss the opportunity further on November 5th; F. Morris Chatters has kindly volunteered to act as squadron leader. He reports that he misses Sven the chef more than his wife and that he'd really like to have Sam for dinner.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

As this thread has turned into a partial fast food discussion, I copied this from the General topics forum. This was how MacDonalds started out. I remember from my youth that they resembled something like this. I do not think that it does today so I for one would not want to start any road trip at the Golden Arches. Do not get me wrong, their marketing machine has reached into my household and we make the weekly trip to satisfy the four and two year olds but food club is way to sophisticated for that.

Original MacDonalds -

1. The restaurant sparkles, shines.

2. Only fresh raw product = fresh cut, twice fried french fries, fresh beef patties ground early in the morning and delivered fresh each day, daily made tartar sauce. No freezer. No microwave.

3. Only fresh finished product - burgers and fries are trashed after 10 minutes holding. Timers in each section of the bin to make sure it happens. During rush hours burgers are never more than a minute or two off the grill.

4. Two additional employees - the porter who spends his time keeping the parking lot and inside spotless. The bus person who clears and cleans everyone's table as soon as they leave.

5. A youth workforce that wants/needs to work, that competes for jobs, where there is a waiting list and some franchisees only hire straight A students.

Then put in a manager who started off at a buck an hour peeling potatoes, who will motivate, build morale and enthusiasm, who will lead by stepping in wherever needed and is able take over the grill from the justifiably cocky crew cheif and, using two spatulas, one in each hand, flip the burgers six at a time, laying down "12's" and "24's" in rows of 6 on an eight foot grill full of patties and buns in precise alignment and all cooked perfectly.

You'll end up with a fast food restaurant that in its way is as well run and as committed to service and quality as any five star french restaurant. And you'll end up with a fast food restaurant with lines out the door and around the building just like it used to be back in the '60s.

The majority of the McDonald's of today are a discrace. If the first McDonald's restaurant operated with the sloppy standards of today's McDonald's, the company never would have made it out of Des Plaines IL - Ray Kroc's first McDonald's.

But back then most McDonald's restaurants ran with the beauty and precision of a finely tuned Swiss clock. It was a thrill to stand behind the scenes in an out-of-the-way corner and watch a high volume McDonald's turn out its equivelent of pitching a "no-hitter" - back-to-back thousand dollar hours at a time when burgers were going for fifteen cents each.

Oh how it has changed.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Perhaps we can hire a double-decker bus for this culinary Richmond tour and start at the bottom and work our way up or vice versa? i.e. start at the Steveston docks

I'm definitely more of a vice versa kind of guy.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

in reply to Nwyles.

Very fascinating dissertation on the beginning rules of Mcdonald's. I stil remember when they first opened in Winnipeg near my high school.

Friday nights were kinda of an Italian theme, where they would put don the tables with red checkered tablecloths and hire a local music student to play Italian songs on the violin. Wandering the tables while people were mesmerized by the cheap food.

Oh my, those were the daze.

S

i'm too lazy to have a really close look, but in case no-one else has mentioned it the broadway  location closed down about 2 years ago, so i would say that would make the chinatown location the preferred one

You raise an interesting point vandan. How could two restaurants, owned by the same (extended) Huynh family, serving essentially the same menu, taste so different? Sure, the West broadway location appealed to a slightly more upmarket, slightly younger crowd, and let's assume the rent was more expensive. But to me, the food just never quite tasted as good.

I think my fiancee nailed it when she said, "The pans [in the Chinatown location] just have more soul."

And, indeed, I too prefer to eat at restaurants that are open.

Nice one.

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I have never eaten at Bishop's, West, Feenie's (although yes to Lumiere), Phnom Penh, William Tell or Parkside.

I have eaten at McDonald's...last time twelve years ago on a drive back from a weekend in Whistler (nuf said).

And I promise....it will never happen again!

Just for some added trivia and to procrastinate my computer work even further tonight .....McDonald's is pronounced Makudonaldo's in Japanese.

Back to work.

McDonald's is pronounced Makudonaldo's in Japanese.

Love those Japanese-Italian fusion places. Sort of like the new Tojo's/Vij's co-venture that's being touted: Yakisari.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

McDonald's is pronounced Makudonaldo's in Japanese.

Love those Japanese-Italian fusion places. Sort of like the new Tojo's/Vij's co-venture that's being touted: Yakisari.

Does this mean Vancouver can now enjoy the wonderful Japanese/Italian treat of corn and bonito on pizza? :wacko:

Edited by Chef Metcalf (log)

I have heard of a place on Kingsway near Rupert called Italian Pho. Just a name though it's alledgedly 100% Vietnamese.

I've often felt a pressing urgency to make a friend of pho.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

• 5 months later...

Because of the witty banter between Keith and a particularly inspired Jamie Maw, or perhaps in spite of it :wink: , I was drawn to revive this thread. Also since the last post, I bet the Vancouver/W.Canada contingent of eGullet has quadrupled so more people might be interested.

Oh, and a question to the original list posters: which restaurants are still on your list 6 months later? Just curious.

My own embarrasing list includes (not exhaustively!):

Cru, C, Chambar, Aurora Bistro (all of whom have participation or at least are lurking on this board, so it's a little extra embarrasing, but at least Chambar will be stricken from the list as of Monday), Le Croc :sad: (I know I know, it's an institution!), Bis Moreno, Parkside, Villa del Lupo, any Guu, Go Fish, Kolachy Shop (only on this board would this be an "embarrasing" admission?), Kaplan's Deli...

I'm working on it as fast as time and finances will allow!