• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Saratoga

fatcatbrew

Max London was really starting to rock in the kitchen at Eartha's when he left to pursue other projects.

I had heard that. It's a shame, I remember when Eartha's was THE place to eat in Saratoga - 15/20 years ago.

I hope Max London makes it.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Had a pre-ballet dinner recently at the "new" Eartha's. Really haven't been since Max departed. They are now trying to be a "tapas" bar- mostly spring rolls, lettuce wraps, fried ravioli, etc. Good, not great. Felt like I was at someone's wedding. They used to have a relatively decent wine list. Although they have a bar, the wine choices were only a couple of relatively uninspired selections by the glass. Not sure we'll return. Stick to the Wine Bar.

Mark A. Bauman

Had a pre-ballet dinner recently at the "new" Eartha's. Really haven't been since Max departed. They are now trying to be a "tapas" bar- mostly spring rolls, lettuce wraps, fried ravioli, etc. Good, not great. Felt like I was at someone's wedding. They used to have a relatively decent wine list. Although they have a bar, the wine choices were only a couple of relatively uninspired selections by the glass. Not sure we'll return. Stick to the Wine Bar.

It's too bad. Eartha's was on its way to being my favorite Saratoga restaurant. That distinction still resides with Chez Sophie.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have not been to saratoga in over a year(I lived in albany until last november)... is Ravenous still there? their crepes and fries were divine.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

I have not been to saratoga in over a year(I lived in albany until last november)... is Ravenous still there?  their crepes and fries were divine.

I believe it is. I have heard good things about it although I haven't been. :sad:

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Every summer for years we have gone to Manchester, Vermont for a long weekend and drove - about an hour - to Saratoga for a day of racing. We were fortunate enough to be able to sit upstairs overloking the finish line in what I believe is called the Directors room. The food was expensive, massed produced and mediocre at best. After the racing was over we would go back to Manchester for dinner.

This year our plans have changed and we will be going home to NJ after the races and dinner as I was lucky enough to get a reservation at Chez Sophie. I was shocked when I called hotels to get a room as we were thinking of staying over. $400 for a room at a Marriott Courtyard???

Every summer for years we have gone to Manchester, Vermont for a long weekend and drove - about an hour - to Saratoga for a day of racing.  We were fortunate enough to be able to sit upstairs overloking the finish line in what I believe is called the Directors room.  The food was expensive, massed produced and mediocre at best.  After the racing was over we would go back to Manchester for dinner. 

This year our plans have changed and we will be going home to NJ after the races and dinner as  I was lucky enough to get a  reservation at Chez Sophie.  I was shocked when I called hotels to get a room as we were thinking of staying over.  $400 for a room at a Marriott Courtyard???

Yes, rooms in Saratoga are expensive during racing, but if you want a place to stay that's "says" Saratoga, I would visit the Chestnut Tree Inn. Absolutlely spectacular - I've been staying there since they opened in 1989. There's no better place and I've probably been to them all.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Every summer for years we have gone to Manchester, Vermont for a long weekend and drove - about an hour - to Saratoga for a day of racing.  We were fortunate enough to be able to sit upstairs overloking the finish line in what I believe is called the Directors room.  The food was expensive, massed produced and mediocre at best.  After the racing was over we would go back to Manchester for dinner. 

This year our plans have changed and we will be going home to NJ after the races and dinner as  I was lucky enough to get a  reservation at Chez Sophie.  I was shocked when I called hotels to get a room as we were thinking of staying over.  $400 for a room at a Marriott Courtyard???

Get a room and have dinner at The Inn at Erlowest. It is probably about thirty to forty minutes from Saratoga depending on traffic. The rooms and the food are the best in the area. If that is still too much get a room in Glens Falls. That should be much more reasonable. The Queensbury Hotel is probably the best one in town. You can still dine at Chez Sophie or Erlowest.

Twitter - @docsconz

Drove up to Saratoga yesterday (last day before the racing season) to have dinner at The Wine Bar. Enjoyed the Ahi Tuna (small plate) and the Duck Breast (full plate). The Tuna was excellent and the Duck Breast was perfect - crisp skin, medium rare, rich meat. Had a 6th Sense Syrah - great pairing with the duck. Enjoyed the mixed cheese platter.

Stayed at the aforementioned Chestnut Tree Inn - left Saratoga at 4:45 am and was back in work before 8:30 this morning - great day!

And they're off...

(By the way - today's first race was a Steeplechase - that's how you know the hard boots and jump-up set have invaded the Spa.)

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Rich, how does the duck breast compare to that at Chez Sophie? That is actually where I first got turned on to duck. Is it sweet? While duck is certainly rich enough to stand up to a fruit sauce, I hate it when it is too sweet.

Twitter - @docsconz

Rich, how does the duck breast compare to that at Chez Sophie? That is actually where I first got turned on to duck. Is it sweet?  While duck is certainly rich enough to stand up to a fruit sauce, I hate it when it is too sweet.

Doc, while I've eaten at Chez Sophie about ten times over the years, I never had their duck.

The Wine Bar's duck was certainly rich, but not sweet at all, at least not to my taste. It had a "gamey" flavor, which I thoroughly enjoy and was quite moist. The reason I ordered duck (I sat at the bar) was that the person next to me was eating it when I arrived and it just looked too good to pass up.

As an aside ( I forgot to mention this in yesterday's post), the Wine Bar has one suite available for rent on the third floor of the building. The amenties are terrific and room is pristine and very comfortable. The tariff? $600 per night!

Rich Schulhoff

A good friend of mine (who knows his food) went to Ciro's in Saratoga last evening. This is a restaurant located across the street from the racetrack and is only open for the six weeks of the meet.

He reported it was one of the finest, albeit one of the most expensive meals he has ever had. Crab cake appetizer was $24, Veal chop was $48 and Strip Steak was $52. Drinks began at $15 and the wine list had nothing less than $60 (worthwhile). He said the room and service wer top notch.

I haven't eaten there in at least five years, so I can't comment on the present. However, the place has always had a reputation for being overpriced, but it still attracts a crowd. Last night's two seatings were completely booked.

When I ate there I was unimpressed, but that was five years ago.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Never been, but the rep for Ciro's that I have heard is that it is all about the "scene", albeit with good though not great food. At those prices I'll go elsewhere.

Twitter - @docsconz

Never been, but the rep for Ciro's that I have heard is that it is all about the "scene", albeit with good though not great food. At those prices I'll go elsewhere.

At those prices, I'll go elsewhere twice, maybe thrice.

Rich Schulhoff

I'm hoping to get to the new Beekman Street Bistro tonight for dinner. I have heard good things. I'll report back if I go.

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm hoping to get to the new Beekman Street Bistro tonight for dinner. I have heard good things. I'll report back if I go.

Brave man, Doc. Going to Saratoga on the first Friday night of the meet - you have courage. I guess it's better than going the Friday before the Travers.

My friend said he had swordfish at Ciro's and it was three inches thick. That's nice, but a little over the top. I wonder if they charged by the inch?

Rich Schulhoff

I've gone the last few opening weekends and it hasn't been that bad. I think a lot of people come up for opening day and then leave although moving the Jim Dandy to the 1st Saturday of the meet may change that.

I got suckered into going Travers Week this year so I'm readying myself for the insanity. Going to Springwater and I beileve Chianti for dinner.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I've gone the last few opening weekends and it hasn't been that bad. I think a lot of people come up for opening day and then leave although moving the Jim Dandy to the 1st Saturday of the meet may change that.

I got suckered into going Travers Week  this year so I'm readying myself for the insanity. Going to Springwater and I beileve Chianti for dinner.

Sammy, please try the Wine Bar. The menu is so creative and the food is outstanding. The cheese course alone is worth the price of admission. It's better (in my opinion) than Springwater or Chianti's.

If things work out my filly, Rachel's Sister, may be running next Sunday (8/7). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's a turf race and they're tough to "get in" because of the number of runners.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Sammy, please try the Wine Bar. The menu is so creative and the food is outstanding. The cheese course alone is worth the price of admission. It's better (in my opinion) than Springwater or Chianti's.

I've been to the Wine Bar several times for drinks and apps but never dinner. I've got a soft spot for Springwater (we get treated royally) and the others in my group insisted on going Italian at least one night.

I've got my Brisbet account open so I'll put down a few shekels on Rachel's Sister. Let me know if she runs. Who is your trainer?

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I've been to the Wine Bar several times for drinks and apps but never dinner. I've got a soft spot for Springwater (we get treated royally) and the others in my group insisted on going Italian at least one night.

I've got my Brisbet account open so I'll put down a few shekels on Rachel's Sister. Let me know if she runs. Who is your trainer?

Right now Linda Rice (see there's a food reference), but that may change before next Sunday - nothing against her but it may need to be done so Rachel has a better chance of getting into the race (coupled entry rule).

Italian is tough in Saratoga. I never thought there was a top notch Italian in the Spa.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Italian is tough in Saratoga. I never thought there was a top notch Italian in the Spa.

Chianti is probably the last place in Saratoga I would go during the meet as they don't take reservations and it gets insanely and rudely busy. Then again it is not my favorite restaurant at any other time of the year. IMO it is about attitude only. The food and wine, while showy, is clearly secondary. If you must have Italian, try Luisa's Bistro on Rte 9 off exit 17 heading towards South Glens Falls.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first posting...I've been reading for weeks, but felt so strongly about our Saratoga dining experiences that I had to write. I'm usually hanging out in The Heartland.

We make it to Saratoga about every other year for the races and stay with friends who live there. The last time we came to visit we went to Springwater (one of their favorite restaurants) and loved it. I managed to make it back for business a few months ago and had another great meal. Our visit last week wasn't any different. The food was fresh and interesting, and the service was great for our large group (about 12 of us). We eat out a lot in Chicago and often comment on how our expectations have changed over the years and wonder if we are becoming difficult and expecting too much of restaurants that are at a certain price point. Springwater lives up to what we expect.

Our experience at Sargo's the night before was quite the opposite. It was the same large crowd of people, and you would have thought it was the first time they ever encountered such a large group. The waitress wasn't knowledgeable about the specials, failed to tell us what they were out of until we ordered (the lobster savannah - the only thing that I wanted), empty water glasses, and I could go on and on. The food wasn't anything special as docsconz said...it read better on paper than it tasted. My husband had the veal wrapped lobster and was extremely unimpressed.

I am looking forward to trying Chez Sophie the next time we visit (another favorite of our hosts).

Edited by santo_grace (log)

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

This is my first posting...I've been reading for weeks, but felt so strongly about our Saratoga dining experiences that I had to write. I'm usually hanging out in The Heartland. 

We make it to Saratoga about every other year for the races and stay with friends who live there.  The last time we came to visit we went to Springwater (one of their favorite restaurants) and loved it.  I managed to make it back for business a few months ago and had another great meal.  Our visit last week wasn't any different.  The food was fresh and interesting, and the service was great for our large group (about 12 of us).  We eat out a lot in Chicago and often comment on how our expectations have changed over the years and wonder if we are becoming difficult and expecting too much of restaurants that are at a certain price point.  Springwater lives up to what we expect.

Our experience at Sargo's the night before was quite the opposite.  It was the same large crowd of people, and you would have thought it was the first time they ever encountered such a large group. The waitress wasn't knowledgeable about the specials, failed to tell us what they were out of until we ordered (the lobster savannah - the only thing that I wanted), empty water glasses, and I could go on and on.  The food wasn't anything special as docsconz said...it read better on paper than it tasted.  My husband had the veal wrapped lobster and was extremely unimpressed.

I am looking forward to trying Chez Sophie the next time we visit (another favorite of our hosts).

santo_grace, Welcome to eGullet and the New York Forum and to the Saratoga area!

I must admit that it has been awhile since I have last been to Springwater. While I have had some truly wonderful meals there, the last few times I have been there, i have been disappointed. I am due to try it again.

Your experience at Sargo's sounds much like my own. The veal and lobster dish certainly sounded much better than it ate. Some friends very much want me to return though. I must say at the prices they charge I am in no hurry.

Twitter - @docsconz