• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rouge Vif d'Etampes Pumpkin

Richard Kilgore

ok...maybe i have been looking at way too many pumpkins in the stores lately because of haloween...but it sure looks something like a pumpkin to me.....and i admit that my knowledge of the different types of squash is very limited to what i see here..but ive enver even heard of this one....

i think i must be leading a sheltered life.... :unsure: ...and need to get out more :laugh:

a recipe is merely a suggestion

aka Cinderella pumpkin, aka Soup Pumpkin

They may have called it a French heirloom squash at the store -- but squash and pumpkins, oh so close cousins.

You might like to check out this link.

Seems to be very appropriate for several culinary uses.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 2 weeks later...

So what does everyone do with an oversupply of pumpkin, whether it be one large one like mine above, or a number of smaller ones. I have posted a pumpkin pie thread in the Pastry & Baking forum, so let's use this one for everything else.

Any favorite recipes for soups, for example? Purees? Other uses?

It is indeed Rouge Vif d'Estampes.

The following is from Univ. of Illinois web site.

"This variety is a C. maxima type that is deep red-orange, flattened, heavily sutured. It was the prototype for Cinderella's carriage pumpkin and is sometimes sold as "Cinderella" pumpkin."

It has excellent flavor and is often used as a soup pumpkin, in that the top is removed just past the curve to the top so that in can be replaced, the seeds are removed and lightly salted water is placed into the pumpkin and the top is replaced, (I spear it diagonally with some small bamboo skewers to keep it in place.)

It then goes into the oven on a baking sheet, at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes for a pumpkin this size.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Using a broad, round tip spoon (or an ice cream "spatula" works very well also) carefully remove the flesh from the interior, careful not to get it too thin. Also pare the flesh from the lid portion, try to leave it about 1/2 inch thick or a little less.

Chop the flesh roughly and set aside.

Recipe follows:

PROVENCE PUMPKIN SOUP

An original recipe by Andie, 11/5/97

Flesh from a medium large sugar or "soup" pumpkin, 3-4 cups, approximately. (PRE-COOKED)

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons herbes de Provence seasoning

1/3 cup shallots, cut into small dice

or 1/2 cup onion

2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated

1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 cup apple jelly

1 quart chicken broth

1 cup heavy cream (or half and half if you want less fat)

Preheat your pan and melt the butter.

Add the shallots and ginger and sauté over medium heat for about 4 minutes.

Add the herbs de Provence and the nutmeg, continue cooking for another minute or so, stirring constantly.

Add the apple jelly and stir until it has melted and blended with the other ingredients.

Pour in the chicken stock and increase the heat until it is simmering,

Reduce the heat and add the pumpkin.

Cook at a low simmer for about 20 minutes.

Either use an immersion blender to puree the contents or remove a cup at a time and blend in a blender until it is smooth.

Return to the pot, bring to a simmer and whisk in the cream.

Place the pumpkin shell in a bowl to hold it steady, ladle in the soup and serve with croutons, toasted pepitas or ???

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A note about the above recipe. If you are short of pumpkin, used cooked carrots, squash or even sweet potato to make up the portion. Do not use canned pumpkin it is okay for some things but not for this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I make this: Nigella Lawson's Thai Yellow Pumpkin and Seafood Curry a lot. In fact, I love it all year round and will sub butternut (add at very end) if pumpkin is not available. I really like it best with pumpkin and I am planning to freeze some this fall but am not sure how well it will store.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Much easier to cut off the top and then scoop out the seeds, and then the flesh before baking. In fact don't bake the shell at all. If you bake it it goes soft and is much harder to use as a tureen.

Follow the Ultimate Universal Thick Vegetable Soup Recipe. I like, in addition to the pumpkin, some leek, and maybe a little truffle oil.. Serve in the shell.

For pumpkin pie I find it easier to start with baked butternut squash. The flesh is denser and the pulp needs less boiling.

Thanks for the soup recipe, Andie. Sounds wonderful.

And thanks for the Thai curry dish, Natasha. I do like Thai curry.

Anyone else have ideas for savory pumpkin dishes?

My pleasure Richard.

I posted my recipe for pumpkin chili on the other pumpkin thread, however I might as well post it here also since RecipeGullet is still among the missing..... :hmmm:

Pumpkin Chili Mexicana

Serves 20

3 1/2 to 4 pound Mexican pumpkin, cheese pumpkin, Kabocha or similar squash.

2 pounds chopped beef or turkey (not finely ground)

1 1/2 cups chopped onion

3 - 4 large garlic cloves, minced

1 cup diced mild sweet red pepper (Bell is OK, Pimento or ripe mild Anaheim are better)

1 cup diced mild green chiles, Anaheim, Big Jim or New Mexico

1/2 cup Jalapeños, diced

1 cup beef or chicken broth.

1 teaspoon freshly ground dried red chiles, Colorado, New Mexico, Ancho or your preference.

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin

(first toast the seeds in a dry iron skillet till they start to pop)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Optional - - 1 or 2 Habanero or other very hot peppers, very finely minced. (you can omit these if you do not want a searingly hot chili)

2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, including liquid

2 large cans tomato paste (used to be 8 oz., however they keep changing the amounts)

2 14.5 ounce cans black beans or dark red kidney beans, drained (or equivalent)

1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels

Directions

First, pierce the pumpkin or squash in several places with an ice pick or chef's fork and place it on a pan in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer will penetrate easily through the flesh.

Meanwhile, while the pumpkin is baking,

Sauté the beef or turkey in a large saucier

As it is fairly well browned and is still giving off juices,

add the onion and garlic and cook for about 4-5 minutes or so.

Add the peppers (except for the Habanero) and continue cooking until they are tender.

Add the beef or chicken broth and bring to a simmer.

Add the spices and continue simmering for 8 -10 minutes.

Remove from heat and set aside.

When cool enough to handle, split the pumpkin, remove the seeds and skin and chop into fairly small chunks and add to the meat mixture.

Return to heat and bring to a simmer.

Add the remaining ingredients, including the Habanero, and cook over medium low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring often to keep from burning.

Serve, topped with a generous dollop of sour cream and finely chopped scallions or green onions and freshly baked cornbread, or tortillas if you have them available.

Also have finely shredded mild cheddar cheese, toasted pepitas, croutons and various crackers on side dishes for your guests to add as they wish.

Much easier to cut off the top and then scoop out the seeds, and then the flesh before baking. In fact don't bake the shell at all. If you bake it it goes soft and is much harder to use as a tureen.

Follow the Ultimate Universal Thick Vegetable Soup Recipe. I like, in addition to the pumpkin, some leek, and maybe a little truffle oil.. Serve in the shell.

For pumpkin pie I find it easier to start with baked butternut squash. The flesh is denser and the pulp needs less boiling.

It takes at least 1 1/2 hours to cook a pumpkin or squash this size to the point where the flesh is soft enough for it to collapse and when it is raw it is very difficult to pare off enough to cook for the soup without spearing through the rind.

I have tried it many different ways and find it is more workable this way and it should maintain its shape quite nicely. Smaller fruit require less baking time.

Hubbards require more as do the larger butternut squash, particularly those that are practically solid, except for the small seed cavity at the bulbous end.

Thanks, Andie. Apologies for any confusion due to starting a pumpkin thread in the Pastry & Baking Forum, as well as this thread for savory pumpkin dishes that really don't fit in the P&B forum.

I'm the one who should apologize, I don't usually pay attention to the forums, I start from the "Today's Active Topics" heading and all the topics in all the forums are listed. Ecumenical, I suppose.

Andiesenji: your Pumpkin Chili is an impressive preparation! (I would choose to use Kabocha squash.) It’s complexity of flavors reminds me of a South American dish, Pumpkin & Beef Stew which is packed with onions, garlic, two kinds of potatoes, chunks of a 12-pound pumpkin, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, pears, and dried apricots. That’s an entire grocery order in one stockpot! Years ago, I made the Bocuse Pumpkin Soup served in the whole pumpkin shell; at a small banquet, the beef stew would likewise have a grand presentation in the evacuated pumpkin.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse