• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

With assorted spreads and cheeses with crackers:

2002 Anton Bauer, Gruner Veltliner Ried Gmork:

My first Gruner from the Donauland; 12.5% alcohol; crisp and clean with apple and citrus smells and flavors, lightweight, balanced with a moderate finish. Not particularly intense or concentrated nor typical of better GruVee; nonetheless, a pleasant aperitif style.

1997 Duclaux, Cote Rotie:

Less open and more tannic than my last bottle and actually more reminiscent of good St. Joseph; still, the nose is Cote Rotie; decent balance and intensity. A wine to pair with lighter food and it served well in that capacity.

With salad Nicoise with fresh, grilled tuna:

1999 R. Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Chaignots:

More developed on the nose than palate as this actually closed down some the longer it stayed in the glass; initially, a nose at full song with complexity, mushroom-earthy accents and a clear mineral streak; more straight-forward on the palate with sweet fruit and light earthy hints; balanced, concentrated and well integrated with good persistence. A wine for the future, and a very good future, I’d wager.

1998 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Estate Reserve:

Clearly of its place and well concentrated but this was two wines; at one sip it was fruit driven and moderately complex, and, the next it displayed too much of that sweet and sour oak I find prevalent in CA cabernets (eg. Colgin). This was my first bottle of this wine and I have no idea what the future holds. But it is not for drinking now unless you enjoy the impression of heavy handed, new wood. (Others liked this better than I.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com