• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bomb Bomb Bombs

cinghiale

After a couple of years hankering to go way down to 10th and Wolf and check out Bomb Bomb Bar B Que, I finally made it Friday night. I'd been in once on a late AM for a cup of coffee while waiting for a contractor and was certainly intrigued by the history of the place. If I recall correctly, some 50+ years ago, the place was firebombed on account of the owner's refusal to pay protection. When he remained defiant after the first attack, he was bombed again.

The place has that old, neighborhood-y feel that gotten lost in recent years in the Northern (of Snyder Ave.) Italian places. The staff is great, real homey. Lotsa regulars. One hour wait for a table that night (it seats maybe 35-40), but the bar was comfortable. Kendall Jackson SauvBlanc was more than I expected, so I was looking forward to a good, solid meal.

While Bomb Bomb bills itself as a barbeque, it has only ribs on the menu, and only one way at that. Crabs are really the focus there. Crabs whole, stuffed in things, in sauces. I started with the crab bisque. It was very good, full of crab and just creamy enough. I should have stopped right there. My friend and I then shared jalapeño shrimp. I'm fairly certain these aren't made in the restaurant. Very ordinary. A simple salad came with the meal, with the homemade Italian dressing served in a blue, Grolsch-type of bottle.

The mains were truly bad. My veal marsala was nowhere near the common understanding of that dish. The veal, which was limp and bland, was either breaded or the victim of a dredging gone horribly wrong. The surface was mealy and under-sauteed, turning it the consistency of paste. But the sauce was truly awful. The medallions were swimming in a separation of some stock and fat, with no hint of marsala anywhere -- in fact, no hint of any flavor whatsoever. As for the inclusion of mushrooms, better minds can differ, I guess. My side of gnocchi were straight from the freezer. And again, the red sauce was devoid of flavor altogether, including that of tomato. My friend had the special spaghetti with crab meat in red sauce. Same problem: the usual over-the-top size serving with a ice-cream scoop of crab in the middle, then flooded with bland gravy.

Looking around, I saw dishes that looked a bit better. The scampi at the next table looked appetizing, and people seemed to be enjoying the mussels (or clams?). But Yikes! If it weren't for the really warm service, I'd say I'd never go back. The sandwich selection looks OK, though, so if I do return, then for lunch only.

I've heard positive reports about the restaurant before (though not, in truth, from anybody I actually know). But even without your comments, I'd be suspicious, just from their lack of focus: ribs! crab bisque! gnocchi! sandwiches! Seems like too many things to do and be able to do well.

Still, I like the story behind the place. And it sounds like they'll do fine, even without me showing up...

After a couple of years hankering to go way down to 10th and Wolf and check out Bomb Bomb Bar B Que, I finally made it Friday night.  I'd been in once on a late AM for a cup of coffee while waiting for a contractor and was certainly intrigued by the history of the place.  If I recall correctly, some 50+ years ago, the place was firebombed on account of the owner's refusal to pay protection.  When he remained defiant after the first attack, he was bombed again.

The place has that old, neighborhood-y feel that gotten lost in recent years in the Northern (of Snyder Ave.) Italian places.  The staff is great, real homey.  Lotsa regulars.  One hour wait for a table that night (it seats maybe 35-40), but the bar was comfortable.  Kendall Jackson SauvBlanc was more than I expected, so I was looking forward to a good, solid meal.

While Bomb Bomb bills itself as a barbeque, it has only ribs on the menu, and only one way at that.  Crabs are really the focus there.  Crabs whole, stuffed in things, in sauces.  I started with the crab bisque.  It was very good, full of crab and just creamy enough.  I should have stopped right there.  My friend and I then shared jalapeño shrimp.  I'm fairly certain these aren't made in the restaurant.  Very ordinary.  A simple salad came with the meal, with the homemade Italian dressing served in a blue, Grolsch-type of bottle.

The mains were truly bad.  My veal marsala was nowhere near the common understanding of that dish.  The veal, which was limp and bland, was either breaded or the victim of a dredging gone horribly wrong.  The surface was mealy and under-sauteed, turning it the consistency of paste.  But the sauce was truly awful.  The medallions were swimming in a separation of some stock and fat, with no hint of marsala anywhere -- in fact, no hint of any flavor whatsoever.  As for the inclusion of mushrooms, better minds can differ, I guess.  My side of gnocchi were straight from the freezer.  And again, the red sauce was devoid of flavor altogether, including that of tomato.  My friend had the special spaghetti with crab meat in red sauce.  Same problem:  the usual over-the-top size serving with a ice-cream scoop of crab in the middle, then flooded with bland gravy.

Looking around, I saw dishes that looked a bit better.  The scampi at the next table looked appetizing, and people seemed to be enjoying the mussels (or clams?).  But Yikes!  If it weren't for the really warm service, I'd say I'd never go back.  The sandwich selection looks OK, though, so if I do return, then for lunch only.

I know we're all looking for those "gems" - but bomb bomb's bbq - 10th+Wolf - What did ya think you'd get? They clearly don't want or need to be a culinary delight. Nor do they have to be. South Philly will always be South Philly. The tables at local places will stay full, even if us "foodies" don't appreciate their offerings, the neighbors don't really care. I really believe the proprietors don't even want us there.They'd problably be horrified if they knew they were even being mentioned on a food related website. If you're looking for B.B.Q. , try Sanannah or Sonny's - if you want South Philly charm, Ralph's.

But most importantly , when entering a neighborhood eatery, take a look at the other diners. This might help you decide whether or not this is the place foryou.

Edited by nancygreengrapes (log)

I know we're all looking for those "gems" - but bomb bomb's bbq - 10th+Wolf - What did ya think you'd get? They clearly don't want or need to be a culinary delight. Nor do they have to be. South Philly will always be South Philly. The tables at local places will stay full, even if us "foodies" don't appreciate their offerings, the neighbors don't really care. I really believe the proprietors don't even want us there.They'd problably be horrified if they knew they were even being mentioned on a food related website. If you're looking for B.B.Q. , try Sanannah or Sonny's - if you want South Philly charm, Ralph's.

But most importantly , when entering a neighborhood eatery, take a look at the other diners. This might help you decide whether or not this is the place foryou.

She speaks the truth...

I went to Bomb Bomb several years ago and found it to be solidly mediocre. Definitely struck me as a neighborhood-y kind of joint. Certainly NOT a "destination" selection for dining. In other words, if you had to travel further than a short walk, probably not worth it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I know we're all looking for those "gems" - but bomb bomb's bbq - 10th+Wolf - What did ya think you'd get? They clearly don't want or need to be a culinary delight. Nor do they have to be. South Philly will always be South Philly.

Huh? What I thought I'd get was a decent meal. I didn't. I have no idea what "South Philly will always be South Philly" means. I live in South Philly (well, BV), and I eat all over South Philly, in various dining incarnations, like Tony Luke's, Cacia Bakery, L'Angolo, Mr. Martino. They're all good and try to please their clientele with quality offerings. I was simply posting a review of a bad meal there, having seen one of Herb's posts on another thread, where he related that he had heard it was good. I thought it appropriate to share my experience. Thanks for the tip on Ralph's, but IMO, that place doesn't "charm" me.

Edited by cinghiale (log)

Huh?  What I thought I'd get was a decent meal.  I didn't.  I have no idea what "South Philly will always be South Philly" means.  I live in South Philly (well, BV), and I eat all over South Philly, in various dining incarnations, like Tony Luke's, Cacia Bakery, L'Angolo, Mr. Martino.  They're all good and try to please their clientele with quality offerings.  I was simply posting a review of a bad meal there, having seen one of Herb's posts on another thread, where he related that he had heard it was good.  I thought it appropriate to share my experience.  Thanks for the tip on Ralph's, but IMO, that place doesn't "charm" me.

Cinghiale:

We're delighted that you shared your experience. I think you're sensing insult where there was none intended. I don't think Nancy was attacking you, nor was I, just pointing out that when you walk into Bomb Bomb it has that certain "South Philly dive bar charm" shall I say (or lack thereof) and well, if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably a duck!

Ralph's too, has that certain je ne sais quois that just reeks of red gravy and South Philly, but at least IMHO is a bit nicer (read:less divey) than Bomb Bomb and the food is certainly better than what I had and what you described experiencing at Bomb Bomb. Vetri it ain't, but better and a fine yardstick for South Philly red gravy style cooking.

My favorite red gravy joint is probably Villa diRoma. It's a step up from a cafeteria (although I understand they've expanded the dining room), but the food is good honest freshly prepared Italian made from great ingredients they obviously just bought down the block at the Italian Market. I'd recommend trying this place for anyone jonesing for food like Nonna used to make, but bring cash as they don't take plastic.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My experience with Bomb Bomb goes back a few years. Back then it was fine. The ribs were good for what they were - though not intended as bbq shack ribs. As I remember the muscles were the thing to order. And I always liked the dichotomy between the relative civility of the dining room in the back and the relative rowdiness of the bar crowd cheering on the Sixers or the Flyers. At the time it was a nice couple running the place, the husband cooking and the wife hostessing.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter