• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salicornes

cigalechanta

This may or may not help you, but Judy Rodger's in her book, Zuni Cafe (egull-Amazon link gives $$ to egull if you order thru it) gives a recipe for making your own pickled "sea bean" or "glasswort" if you can find the fresh stuff. (The cookbook is very nice overall also...)

You might be able to order fresh glasswort here:here.

In terms of procuring out here in CA--she recommends farmer's markets as a possible source. I saw this article on a dish at Craft in NYC that also suggests a few specific farmer's markets in NYC.

From what I can tell, it grows on the New England sesaboard so you may also have luck with talking to some people at Cambridge or Boston markets. If you know a restaurant that serves it, may also be possible to get info from them re: procurement.

How are you thinking about using it?

Has anyone else used this at home?

I'm pretty intrigued with this ingredient but haven't tried it yet.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I did my Master's work in a marsh on the west coast of Florida, and we often added glasswort to our camping dinners. All you have to do is walk out in the intracoastal and pick it yourself (usual warnings about location and pollution apply). Grab some friends and go wading this weekend. :smile:

It is peppery in flavor with an incredible crisp-tender texture. We put it in salads and even cooked in in a few stir fry dishes. I remember a student from California gawking at the vast expanses of this "weed" for which he had paid exorbitant prices in Berkeley.

I brought back a jar of pickled salicornes along with my fleur de sel from the Guerande in Brittany.

Pickled, they are used as a condiment, fresh use like green beans

thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by cigalechanta (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Gourmet Magazine (September 2004, page 196) mentions that they can be obtained fresh from melissas.com or (800) 588-0151.

For those planning to attend the Fermier Show in Paris mid-October, there is a stall that sells both the pickled form, in a brine similar to cornichons, and a fabulous salicorne mustard.

eGullet member #80.