• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Sushi

I enjoy sushi but haven't really explored great places in Seattle as yet.

My daughter is coming to visit and she read some good stuff on a world-wide sushi website...or some such thing.

For a 'walking distance from the ferry restaurant" is Shiro one that you'd recommend? THANKS

I shouldn't critisize when I don't have a good alternative to suggest, but the one time I tried Shiro's I was very dissapointed, particularly given all the adoration that flows its way.

Many people, including the chef at Mistral, have sung the praises of Saito's to me, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Saito's

2122 2nd Ave

Seattle, WA 98121

Phone: 206.728.1333

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I shouldn't critisize when I don't have a good alternative to suggest, but the one time I tried Shiro's I was very dissapointed, particularly given all the adoration that flows its way.

Many people, including the chef at Mistral, have sung the praises of Saito's to me, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Thanks, tighe. I'll add Saito's to my list.....

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

Thanks, tighe. I'll add Saito's to my list.....

i love saito's. shiro's is good, but imo, not worth the hype unless you were going to have shiro himself make omakase for you. saito has an enormous menu and much less austere decor than shiro.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

On the plus side there are a lot of good sushi restaurants in Seattle, but I don't eat it downtown much. I would either go up to Capital Hill and eat at Aoki, or go to Lake Union and eat at I Love Sushi.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

On the plus side there are a lot of good sushi restaurants in Seattle, but I don't eat it downtown much.  I would either go up to Capital Hill and eat at Aoki, or go to Lake Union and eat at I Love Sushi.

Thanks, dougary/elswinger but for this quick trip into Seattle I'd like to stick to a downtown location.

Thanks, dougary/elswinger but for this quick trip into Seattle I'd like to stick to a downtown location.

In downtown Seattle, Saito's is absolutely my favorite. It's best to sit at the sushi bar.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I like Saito's too, wish I could go there more often. He does very nice omakase.

They used to have the most out of this world ginger ice cream and black sesame ice cream around 3 years ago, but according to Saito-san himself, the place they got it from was sold and the new owners changed the formula. Bummer. The new desserts he's added to replace them are no slouch though. Even so, I'd kill to know how that ice cream was made.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

I will have to try Saito's for lunch today since I'm going to be downtown. It was on my list of sushi places to try anyway. I just got done reading Nancy Leson's 2002 review and I'm convinced! Plus anyplace that uses real crab in their California and Rainbow Rolls deserves a try.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I enjoy sushi but haven't really explored great places in Seattle as yet.

My daughter is coming to visit and she read some good stuff on a world-wide sushi website...or some such thing.

For a 'walking distance from the ferry restaurant" is Shiro one that you'd recommend?  THANKS

Add another vote for Saito's! I have been disappointed by Shiro's more than not. But Saito's is consistently delish.

Ok, now Saito's is my favorite Seattle sushi restaurant and I have $50 less in my bank account to prove it. I had a small salad, a California Roll, Tempura Roll, Salmon Skin Roll, Maguro, Toro, and Kani, plus 20% tip. I was able to eat it all except for the last two pieces of Salmon Skin Roll. I'll have to go back and try some of the sushi I had never seen at other bars, and I'll take some friends to spread the cost. (Whenever I go by myself I order too much because I want to try everything).

BTW-I usually don't sit at the sushi counter, but Saito served me himself and he seems like a real nice guy!

well, i'm going against the grain herre but i still believe shiro's to be the best. i find their quality to be the most consistent, i like the service, and the no-nonsense approach to sushi is appreciated.

that said, saito's is also fantastic. i'm not wild about the space, though - it feels haunted or something to me.

i will also confess to having a soft spot for wasabi (also there on 2nd avenue). it's a meat market at times and service is hit or miss but they have some good specials and the sushi, for the most part, is fabulous. they do a lot of stuff i don't approve of (fruit in sushi rolls, weird combinations of ingredients) but i had some fatty tuna there recently that makes me forgive them their sins.

lemony

Ok, now Saito's is my favorite Seattle sushi restaurant and I have $50 less in my bank account to prove it.  I had a small salad, a California Roll, Tempura Roll, Salmon Skin Roll, Maguro, Toro, and Kani, plus 20% tip.  I was able to eat it all except for the last two pieces of Salmon Skin Roll. I'll have to go back and try some of the sushi I had never seen at other bars, and I'll take some friends to spread the cost.  (Whenever I go by myself I order too much because I want to try everything).

BTW-I usually don't sit at the sushi counter, but Saito served me himself and he seems like a real nice guy!

But you have to sit at the bar and interact with the chefs to get the best! One of Saito's sushi chefs is a young, tall, handsome guy, and often there are groups of giggly Japanese girls sitting at the bar. I love it.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

While I agree about Saito's, I'd like to add that Wasabi Bistro has a great lunch special. I think it's $11 for the sushi combo. And they use really big, yummy slabs of fish.

Wasabi Bistro is a bit hip and cool--and I haven't been there for dinner because it's a little too hip and cool (and loud). But definitely check it out for lunch.

Don't get the green tea tiramisu. It's weird.

--braincell

But you have to sit at the bar and interact with the chefs to get the best!  One of Saito's sushi chefs is a young, tall, handsome guy, and often there are groups of giggly Japanese girls sitting at the bar.  I love it.

I'm shy. :unsure:

Not related to Shiro's or Saito's but a Seattle Times article on another sushi place worth visiting, and Seattle's oldest, Maneki:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/rest...39_sushi20.html

I love going here, it was the first sushi place I went to when I first moved to Seattle around 11 years ago. Great homey food and loaded with maneki neko statues.

I'm looking forward to live uni season, it will be soon, and Maneki serves theirs live on the half spikey shell when it's available.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-