• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Burgs.

Florida Jim

With some beautiful wild salmon and mushroom risotto:

1998 V. Girardin, Gevrey-Chambertin Les Cazetiers:

Started very closed and tannic; opened some to reveal somewhat muted Gevrey aromatics; solid fruit and earth flavors and the tannins toned down a little; drying, tannic finish.

Given that it was opened too early, I still think this one may never come into balance.

1999 V. Girardin, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses:

Much better with deep black fruit and spice aromas; very concentrated and intense flavors that reflect the vineyard, still too young for much complexity, well balanced; long juicy finish.

Fine juice in need of a decade in the cellar.

Aside: I have tasted a number of Girardin reds in the past that I thought too woody; neither of these was overtly so. There were some oak accents in both but it was fairly understated. Curiously, most of Girardin’s whites I’ve tasted have had more this gentle kind of oak treatment and been pretty nice wines. ‘Hard to figure this guy . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com