• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Mythreesons

Vin cotto

Does anyone know how I can make this or where I can get it ( a thick syrup made from dried figs poured over cartedatte - italian christmas cookies) ?

Regards, Tina

I am no expert, but a little search on cartedate (also spelled carteddate and cartellate) revealed some recipes and this one for Vin Cotto Fiche.

Tina,

vin cotto recipes vary a lot from region to region in Italy, so it's hard to give a single recipe. I assume the one you're looking for comes from Puglia, so in your case the recipe mikeycook found is probably a good starting point. I found an alternative one on the web, in Italian, which calls for a vin cotto made simply by reducing freshly pressed grapjuice to 1/3 of its original volume, till thick and slightly caramelised.

Carteddate can also, as far as I know, be covered, or better dunked in warm runny honey.

Alberto, cartellate are dipped in vin cotto. Honey is only an alternative.

Also pettole are dipped in vin cotto or honey.

I personally prefer vincotto than cotto di fichi, because it's' less sweet. I have a recipe for cotto di fichi

that I have not tested, do you want it anyway? In Puglia you can buy it easly, it's time consuming, so we usually buy, unless you have a lot of figs that you don't know what to do with them.

I tried to make vin cotto (from grape juice) one time there, but I personally don't advice to do so if you think of using just a little grape bought in a store.

I don't know where you live, but in the US it's easy to find in some store. At Kalystians, for example, buy the turkish Pekmez, it's vin cotto and much cheeper. I found a brand from Lizzanello, to me, seems a product for the abroad market.

Hi Franci,

Yes, I would love it if you could post the recipe you have for vin cotto.

I understand that it takes a long time to make vin cotto, but I would really like to try to make an attemp. I live in NJ, where is Kalystians located? Is the pekmez you mentioned made from grapes or figs? I appreciate your help. I really want to surprise my family by making something we have not had for many, many years since my nonna passed.

Regards, Tina

Hi Tina,

Kalustyans is in Manhattan, 123 Lexington.

http://www.kalustyans.com/catalog.asp?menu...category_id=151

the pekmez is made with grape, but they also carry what they call "Essence Of Fig Puree" (from Calabria), that is cotto di fichi. Quite expensive, a small bottle is 20$, but, consider that, to make a full bottle of cotto di fichi, you would need many pounds of figs and, to my experience, here figs don't taste very good.

I check the recipe I saved, it's not very different from the one suggested before.

I am usually the one who like to do everything from stracht, but, in this case, I suggest you to buy. You could try both the pekmez and the cotto di fichi from Calabria and decide which one you like.

Also in Astoria, at Titan supermarket for ex., you can find vin cotto, I didn't check if they carry the fig ones, because, as I said, I prefer the one made from must.

I just bought a jar of vin cotto, I use for sassanelli or mostaccioli, it's not really the right season...but I like them.

Edited by Franci (log)

Alberto, cartellate are dipped in vin cotto. Honey is only an alternative.

Also pettole are dipped in vin cotto or honey.

Franci, thanks for the correction.

BTW, are these made only for christmas?

Thank you all so much for the great info. I'll keep you posted on how I make out!

Franci, My mom lives in Elmhurst, NY not too far from Astoria. Is Titans on one of the major streets? Yummm...enjoy the mostaccioli!

Regards, Tina

Hi Tina, here is the link for Titan Foods:

http://www.titanfood.com/main.htm

That wuold be the Astoria Blvd subway stop. If you walk north, there is another plaza with a small supermarket, a butcher and Artopolis a nice bakery (23-18 31 St.). At the bakery they sell many small cookies, also Moustokouloura, look like tarallini but made with vin cotto. I wasn't particularly excited because the use corn oil in their cookies, me as a good pugliese, only extra-virgin.

If you go to Titan Foods, try also the mizithra, it's closer to our ricotta then the american one. Also Anthotiros cheese is similar to our primo sale...sorry I am a big "chiacchierona", but I am so excited about my discoveries.

Alberto, pettole are traditionally made for Immacolata and for Vigilia (per la cena di magro)

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By yentakaren
      Hi there Italian chefs around the world -    Two years ago (while visiting my family in New York - we live for 25 years in California))  we went to New York and ate in an Italian Restaurant in Syosset Long Island, New York (Steve's Piccola Bussola) and ordered their Chicken Cacciatore.  It was unbelievable, so savory and tender and juice and it had 4 lean and juicy (no skin, no fat, no gristle) rollups wrapped around what looked like a small (about 1-2" rib bone) (in chicken???_ was able to get some of the recipe because I called them 2x, but after 5 tries at various times, I am giving up.  He (the chef) said they used thighs - but the thighs I know are fatty and tough so I don't know where they got it.  He said they buy the whole chickens and cut it up, so I guess they can get rid of the fat,skin and gristle that way.   One, because I am never able to get their dark brown sauce (don't know how they do it because having a brown sauce by working with chicken, mushrooms, wine and onions is an enigma.  Their sauce is not sweet, or sour just rich and savory.   I saw the kind of sauce that it was when I saw the recipe of Hubert Keller's Beef Borguignon on TV, but it looked soooo difficult and was made with meat, not chicken. That has meat rollups sitting in a dark brown sauce.   Help!  I want to learn how to make that.   The initial recipe that they gave me was this:     Take chicken and cut it into pieces the size of a meatball with or without the bone.
      Take olive oil and make very hot.  Brown.  Add 2 cups chicken stock, salt and pepper, parsley, and simmer for ½ hour.  After brown, put until broiler and brown some more.
      In another skillet, put mushrooms, onions, little tomato sauce, and when sizzling and hot, add white wine (or Marsala) and cook in pan – ½ hour.  Add butter to thicken – but do not boil after butter melts
      Said I can also put a little tomato sauce in there - maybe it was tomato paste.
      After ready, marry the two and cook another 15 minutes all together (or not) – just eat it.

Below is a photo of Steve's Chicken Cacciatore - I know it looks like beef, but this is chicken!

• By Christy Martino
      Ciao!

I'm Christine and I'm a born and bred New Yorker. I’m an Italian by blood (and at heart, of course) since my parents actually came from Italy. My father was from Sciacca, Sicily while my mother was from Sondrio, Lombardy. Despite coming from different regions, or because of it, love for food and cooking has been one of the mainstays in my family home life growing up. And I’ve always loved the dishes my parents prepared during special occasions, and even on regular days.

And of course, I love cooking (and eating) Italian food and I have a few recipes from my mother, but I'd really love to collect some more, especially the traditional ones. And if anyone can contribute some historical background to each dish, that would be really great.

Grazie mille!
    • By JohnT
      I am led to believe that World Pasta Day 2016 is to be on Tuesday, October 25 this year. So, with this in mind, what are the eG cooks planning on "cooking up" in celebrating the day?

I will start the ball rolling.

I am going to make my standard egg yoke pasta sheets, rolled out on my now seldom-used manual pasta machine and use them in making lasagna, using my old and reliable bolognese sauce recipe layered with béchamel sauce and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.

And with the left-over egg whites I will make a few meringue bases for portioned pavlova - Spring is here in the Southern Hemisphere and berries and fruit are starting to appear in the shops!
    • By DianaB
      Just found out that a member of eGullet, @Cia has begun to post his short videos on Italian culinary culture on YouTube.  Only one to date but I know there are more in the pipeline.  While made by an Italian based in Italy the narrative is in English.

Here's the first instalment: