• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Fudge

yvegeny

Sorry no recipe.

But if I could ask what kind of fudge do you usually make? I attempted the recipe from Hershey's for Classic Fudge yesterday and it didn't set at all. I cooked it till it boils, then keep boiling unstirred unil it reaches 235 and then beat it with a wooden spoon (ouch! that aches!). And the resulting goo is gritty too. :sad:

Wouldn't coconut fudge be coconut candy? We make coconut candy here by cooking sweetened condensed milk with grated coconut. And when it cools and set, it's cut up into little squares. Is this what you're looking for?

Wouldn't coconut fudge be coconut candy? We make coconut candy here by cooking sweetened condensed milk with grated coconut. And when it cools and set, it's cut up into little squares. Is this what you're looking for?

Actually, that sounds rather good to me.

Kew, have you got a recipe that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks,

Yetty

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I have never personally made fudge of any kind, but I have made it a policy of mine that if someone asks for a recipe, I will at least attempt it. I never turn a recipe down, I call it "Desserts on Demand". The lady did say that the coconut fudge had grated coconut and evaporated milk in it. It was something she had when she was younger, but she didn't have the recipe. Maybe this will help a little for more advice? I would like the recipe that you have, I might try it and see if she likes it. Thanks :smile:

I did a search on eg recipes and came up with nothing. Am I missing it somewhere, or is it really not there? I have a lady who wants coconut fudge, does anyone have a suggestion? I appreciate all help.

Here are a few recipes:

http://www.cookbrazil.com/beijinho.htm

http://www.toptastes.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ul...ic&f=3&t=001089

http://www.justchocolaterecipes.com/cho-0045720.html

Thanks for the links, swiss. I did find a recipe somewhere (don't remember what site now, I've seen so many) that sounded reasonable. When I do a recipe like this, I let the customer know that it is a trial thing. Usually the results are pretty good, I always make extra to let my family try and give thier opinion (they are brutally honest with me :smile: ) and then the customer's order. The recipe from the first link sounded good, I might try it also. Wish me luck.....

Here is my recipe (T&T):

Coconut Candy

3C dessicated coconut (unsweetened)

2 1/2C sugar

1 can evaporated milk (the can here is 405gm)

45g butter

1t vanilla

1/4t salt

food coloring

-mix everything together and cook over LOW heat until thick (and forms a ball when dropped into water ie soft ball stage) and begins to pull away from sides of pan.

- press into a pan and when almost cooled & slightly hardened, cut into squares (in pan) and let it cool further and set.

I did not note down the size of the pan I used but I believe it's a 9X9 lightly greased with oil.

There is also a recipe that I've used which has sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar and evaporated milk, but I like this one better as with the other recipe you'll have to add water and then boil it away again. :rolleyes:

Use evaporated milk - don't substitute with whole milk or low fat evaporated milk.

edited to add - I've looked at the 3 recipes in the links and this coconut candy I make is not like the one in the picture. This also needs no beating with wooden spoon. Nor does it use any eggs.

Here's another recipe on a Malaysian site that uses egg whites (which I prefer not to use just like in marshmallows I prefer not to use egg whites) :coconut candy

Edited by kew (log)

Thanks, Kew. Looks easy, would that be yellow food coloring that you use?

Yetty

You can use any color you want. :smile: I usually make a lot of these and use a different color for each batch and then when cut up, mix them all so I have multi-colored candies. I give most of them away. :biggrin: I guess dah tua-tua ni, can't take too much sugar! (tua=old)