• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interstate wine

CtznCane

I'm curious who knows what is currently going on with loosening up some of the shipping laws. I know people in Texas were lobbying hard to try to be able to ship their wines. What is the current status and how much and quickly are things opening up for interstate shimpments.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

As of a year or so ago wine can be shipped into South Carolina. We are still fighting the minibottle law, however. I believe it will be on the November ballot.

(No one is ever safe when the legislature is in session.)

Right now, most people are awaiting a Supreme Court decision on the topic. It had been a state by state battle, but those battles are "on hold" awaiting what happens on a larger scale.

For even more information than you'll find on the thread linked above, go to Free The Grapes.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

• 6 months later...
I'm curious who knows what is currently going on with loosening up some of the shipping laws. I know people in Texas were lobbying hard to try to be able to ship their wines. What is the current status and how much and quickly are things opening up for interstate shimpments.

In June 2003, the Fifth Circuit ruled that provisions of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code prohibiting the importation of wine for personal consumption were uncostitutional. The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has a brief discussion of the impact of this ruling on its website. Deliveries are limited to wet counties (counties that do not prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages). It is now in the hands of the wineries. Many are taking phone orders. Some will ship to you if you order in person.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe