• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone know where I can purchase izarra?

Wolfert

If Izarra is no longer available in the States. I would love to know why.

Is there anything I can use as a substitute in cooking? I've used green Chartreuse but that is difficult to find. Any suggestions?

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Hi, Paula,

It hasn't been available in Quebec for quite a while. When I asked about it a few years ago, both here and in the States, I was told that, like Stimorol gum, it is no longer distributed in North America. A quick Google search appears to confirm that, though it can be purchased in the UK and on the continent. A search on www.wine-searcher.com turns up only Spanish and Mexican retailers, some of whom offer worldwide delivery. Other than that, it looks like you're stuck with what a friend calls importation valise. Chartreuse is good in its own right but it's just not the same, eh?

Thanks so much. I guess I really didn't want to read that.

Yesterday, Carolyn Tillie bought some jagermeister for me to try. The aroma is fabulous in its own way---sort of like pickled cabbage. Anyone tried cooking with it?

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Thanks so much. I guess I really didn't want to read that.

Yesterday, Carolyn Tillie bought some jagermeister for me to try. The aroma is fabulous in its own way---sort of like pickled cabbage. Anyone tried cooking with it?

Paula,

Through all the Jager induced hazy days in my early 20s, that is a thought that would have NEVER crossed my mind.

It always reminded me of menthol flavored cough syrup.

:laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 4 years later...