• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mmmmmm.....Carnitas!

i love carnitas. in fact, it was a trip to l.a. and a tempting dish of carnitas at silverlake's el chavo that made me climb back aboard the meat wagon after a two year absence. the margaritas didn't hurt, either.

i still think i've had the best versions down in l.a., where muy autentico mexican food abounds. that said, i'm currently CRAZY about the carnitas at ballard's Matador (meat market atmosphere be damned). they do it right, with a complex mix of spice and enough cinnamon to keep it interesting. soul-crushingly tender, as well.

and, while in the pork world, i should mention my love affair with the chile verde at el gallito, despite the fact that you can visibly age while waiting for your meal to be served.

anyone got any suggestions on where i can get my carnitas fix? i'm always looking yet rarely finding.....

lemony

You need to come down to Portland. We have over twice the Mexican population you guys have up there, I believe. I think we have a lot of Michoacanos, too. Michoacan is the state best known for their carnitas. Check out this pic from Salvador's in Woodburn, just south of Portland:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?set_al...=view_photo.php

They even fry them with halved oranges. All the tortillas are made to order there and they have the best panes dulces selection I've seen in the NW (and competitive with many I've seen in California).

btw, did you guys ever read through this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=10592

I've got a couple posts with pics in there somewhere.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Two words: Muy Macho. One of several good Mexican joints in South Park. Taqueria Rinconsito is also good. There are a couple threads that might be helpful to you also:

Taqueria El Rinconsito

Taco trucks

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Not having (yet) made the southern pilgimage to Muy Macho and El Rinconsito, my current in-city fave is Taqueria Pancho Villa at 8064 Lake City Way. Their carnitas taco is nothing more than homemade tortillas (two, like there should be) filled with perfect carnitas -- flavorful, tender pork shreds with occasional crispy exteriors, topped with onions and cilantro. The addition of a spoonful of salsa from the table bowl makes it absolutely perfect.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

thanks for the feedback! both Muy Macho and El Rinconsito have been on my regular eating list for quite some time (one of the many good things about west seattle is its proximity to south park & burien, who woulda thunk?).

bad news on Muy Macho: i was there last week (had 2 carnitas tacos and a side of rice & beans, love their salsa verde) and they NO LONGER SERVE BEER! i don't know about ya'lls but i love a can of tecate with a taco, i'll even bump it up fancy to corona or (preferably) pacifico.

the friendly woman behind the counter didn't have an answer about the lack of beer. i suppose you could eat quickly and dash over to the County Line for a cold one but, really, you're just opening up a big can of trouble with that maneuver.

lemony

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered the one on 15th by the Ballard Bridge. Really good burritos with 4 or 5 pork options. The tortilla tasted homemade to me. Not a whole lot of meat in it, though it was tasty and filling. The best I've had lately, and they were pretty busy for being in a parking lot with plastic chairs. Bring your own beer, quietly.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

• 2 months later...

I had Friday off so I grabbed some friends and we checked out the taco cart on 15th and 50th. It is Gorditos II. They were quite busy at 12:30. Between us we had some tacos (carnitas, carne asada, chorizo), tamales and torta sandwich. Yum, this stuff is good!!! Will be back, I forgot to check- are they open on weekends?

my current in-city fave is Taqueria Pancho Villa at 8064 Lake City Way. Their carnitas taco is nothing more than homemade tortillas (two, like there should be) filled with perfect carnitas -- flavorful, tender pork shreds with occasional crispy exteriors, topped with onions and cilantro. The addition of a spoonful of salsa from the table bowl makes it absolutely perfect.

Oh those sound divine! Is one enough or should you order two? Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give them a try.

Now I'm craving Gorditos too.

In case there was any doubt that eG influences my life, I had to have carnitas for lunch yesterday :biggrin:

I stopped in at Taqueria Guaymus at Greenlake and did a side-by-side comparison of their carnitas versus al pastor soft tacos. The carnitas did not have the crispy edges that I like, but they were pretty tasty. I loved the texture of the al pastor, but there was something sweet that I think was mopped on it. I could have done without that. Too bad there can't be a combination of the two!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

my current in-city fave is Taqueria Pancho Villa at 8064 Lake City Way.

Oh those sound divine! Is one enough or should you order two? Thanks for the tip.

You're quite welcome. I'd order at least 2.. they're mexican-sized, not gringo-style.

I think my last trek there I had 1, maybe 2, plus a chile relleno.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Don't laugh at me until you try them, but the Carnitas Street Tacos available at the Rubio's chain are damn good. Little corn tortillas (just one -- two would just be too much tortilla for these little three or four-bite treats), flavorful pork with lots of crispy edges (well, they were yesterday), cilantro and onions. If you aren't near something more authentic and are near a Rubio's Baja Grill and in need of a carnitas fix, give 'em a try!

Edited to say, sorry, didn't realize this was a Pacific Northwest thread and I don't know if you have Rubio's in your neck of the woods! :wacko:

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

• 1 month later...
Not having (yet) made the southern pilgimage to Muy Macho and El Rinconsito, my current in-city fave is Taqueria Pancho Villa at 8064 Lake City Way. Their carnitas taco is nothing more than homemade tortillas (two, like there should be) filled with perfect carnitas -- flavorful, tender pork shreds with occasional crispy exteriors, topped with onions and cilantro. The addition of a spoonful of salsa from the table bowl makes it absolutely perfect.

Della and I tried Pancho Villa yesterday for lunch. YUM!! excellent carnitas. We also ordered 1 ea. of the tamalas- pork and chicken. Both of these were great too. And the service is very nice. It's so close!! We'll be back. Thanks for the tip Anita.

Have you ever made Carnitas? I have and while it takes a while - it is well worth it~!

della,

i think so...on sunday. i slow roasted a 3lb butt - pulled it, skimmed the fat off the broth (and rendered down the rest of the fat from the pork that hadn't rendered) and fried hunks of the braised pork in it's own fat. was i close?

what is the top layer that extraMSG got on his photographed carnitas? should i not have been so scrupulous in my fat removal/rendering? the meat ended up juicy, carmelized in parts and lovely, but not golden crisp like in EMSG's photo...della - do you (or anyone else out there) have tips?

thanks

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train