• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decanting

bctraveller

When do you decant a wine, and for how long?

Presumably decanting allows the wine to be gently poured off the sediment, and also allows the wine to breathe. I have occasionally had an older bottle that I suspect decanting has speeded up the rapid deterioration of the wine, and that I would have been better off not to decant but just be careful about the sediment. I think that some young big wines benefit from decanting. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Decanting is exactly for the two things you mention: to let the wine breath or to separate the wine from its sediment. That being said, this is the solution to different problems. Young wines often need to breathe to open up their flavors. Just opening the bottle does not accomplish this very well and pouring the wine into a decanter aerates the wine: both while pouring and as its sits in the decanter itself. For older wines with sediment the issue is different and too much exposure to air can rapidly let the delicate aromatics escape leaving the wine a hollow shell of itself. The older and more delicate the wine the more this is an issue. For example letting a very old Barolo breathe a bit is a different issue than letting a very old Burgundy be exposed to air for the same amount of time. Very delicate older wines are often not decanted for this reason. To deal with a very old wine with sediment make sure to stand the bottle upright for enough time to let the sediment settle and then decant or pour directly into glasses and serve immediately.

How long totally depends on the wine being served. Some argue that Burgundy should never be decanted - no matter how young. Some Barolo lovers insist on what seems like decades of breathing time - no matter how old. When it comes to the correct time we enter the realm of personal preferences.

Are there specific wines you have in mind?

I have occasionally had an older bottle that I suspect decanting has speeded up the rapid deterioration of the wine, and that I would have been better off not to decant but just be careful about the sediment.

The Cellaring of Wine thread made me think of this very question. Glad you asked because I'd like to know too. :smile:

In 2001 I came upon a 1982 Chateau Figeac. It was a splendid wine that lasted in the decanter for 15 minutes. At that time everything in the wine dissipated. We had (maybe) 3 ounces each of great wine. The remainder was undetectible. :sad:

Through various experiments I've come to the conclusion to decant the tannic, younger, red wines.

I've had guests over when I've opened an '82 Lafite or an '81 Grange and we simply decant in the glass. It's amazing how a wine evolves in a glass over a couple of hours.

With these older wines that have sediment, I take the out the 'ol coffee filter and run the remaining inch or so from the bottle and pour it through the filter into the glass. It's not classy, but I've spent too much money to lose a wine again in 15 minutes.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

With these older wines that have sediment, I take the out the 'ol coffee filter and run the remaining inch or so from the bottle and pour it through the filter into the glass. It's not classy, but I've spent too much money to lose a wine again in 15 minutes.

Coffee filters are sometimes tough to use. Some are just too thick. Many peole own a decanting funnel that filters out the sediment. You could position this above a glass as well as a decanter.

As far as standing up a bottle goes, usually 48 hours is recommended. I don't plan my drinking that far in advance, so a funnel is a good tool to have.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Many people own a decanting funnel that filters out the sediment. You could position this above a glass as well as a decanter.

As far as standing up a bottle goes, usually 48 hours is recommended. I don't plan my drinking that far in advance, so a funnel is a good tool to have.

Ah, good point. I have one of those that also has five holes at the bottom of the funnel to help disperse and aerate the wine as it goes into the decanter.

Fortunately, our coffee maker requires a large filter so it sits nicely in the Riedel as it filters through.

If it's a good wine (totally subjective, I know), I'll spend at least two weeks planning the meal around it! :laugh:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

If one was to purchase a decanter, what would be the recommendation?

I'm normally a "gimme a bottle and a straw" type of person, but I figure I should get a little classier with the types of wines I'm now buying :raz:

Thanks.

Criag, I am thinking of 94 and 95 Jordan cab, and 92-96 Silver Oak (mainly Alexander Valley).  Are Rhone wines decanted?  Australian and American Syrah/Shiraz?

The Jordon and Silver Oak A.V. wines may have some sediment so should be decanted. I would not give them much breathing time as these wines are quite soft to begin with. By the way I would recommend drinking these up as I do not see them as long agers.

Rhone wines cover a broad range from the syrah wines of the north to the grenache based wines of the south. Both have the potential to throw sediment as they age and will benefit from breathing. The amount of time depends on the age and the quality of the vintage.

I would see no reason to decant (or age) commercial grade Australian shiraz like Rosmount or Hardy's. These wines are ready to drink upon release and do not improve. In fact, as they are probably used micro-oxygenation they are kind of "pre-decanted". Small estate syrah/shiraz wines from California and Australia are only medium-term agers. The can throw a sediment as they age (especially bottles marked unfined and unfiltered). Breathing time once again depends on the quality and style of the wine.

In general, when it comes to breathing:

• Traditionally styled wines need it more than internationally styled wines
  • Tannic varietals (like cabernet sauvignon, nebbiolo) need it more than low tannin varietals (pinot noir, gamay)

If one was to purchase a decanter, what would be the recommendation?

I'm normally a "gimme a bottle and a straw" type of person, but I figure I should get a little classier with the types of wines I'm now buying :raz:

The differences between decanters is not as important as those between wine glasses. If you are decanting just to remove sediment anything is fine. If you are decanting to let the wine breath you want a design that maximizes the surface contact between the wine and air. In other words, a wide decanter. When it comes to actually functioning those cheap liter carafes work as well as many expensive crystal decanters. It is a questions of personal preference and your budget. If I was on a budget I would spend my money on the wine glasses and make do with a basic decanter.

Piggybacking on Craig's last two posts...

Regarding the California Cabernets, the only one I'd decant for aeration is the 95 Jordan. I don't think you'll find much sediment in the Silver Oak. But you could decant the rest to remove sediment. Or just stand them for a couple of days and leave the last inch in the bottle, or use a funnel.

People like those wide-bottomed decanters (and I have one). But I find them hard to pour from as it gets empty. I just like a standard carafe that restaurants use when they pour wine by the carafe or half-carafe. They are much easier to use. Sure, the wine smells better out of the wide-bottomed decanter, but you're not going to drink from it.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero