• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

daSto

DonRocks

Its nice to see Fox News standing up for the dis-enfranchised and taking such a liberal, "fair and balanced" view.

Edited to add - Or as PC-apparatchiks are we being liberal here?

I've never understood the idea of Politcal Correctness as being a fault. It seems like people who criticize people for being "PC" are really looking for a way to say whatever's on their mind, regardless of the consequences on others.

I guess I'm saying I'd rather be too PC than not PC enough.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I've never understood the idea of Politcal Correctness as being a fault. It seems like people who criticize people for being "PC" are really looking for a way to say whatever's on their mind, regardless of the consequences on others.

I guess I'm saying I'd rather be too PC than not PC enough.

I think a lot of people view PCness as being born of arrogance: a way for self-righteous people to judge and correct others. I thought I saw some of this coming out when G. Clark made a remark to the effect of "White people think they have to 'protect' blacks from themselves and from the way they talk. In doing so, they are saying it's wrong to talk that way," and by implication, that the way "white people" talk is better.

Is PCness the new "uppity"?

I'm telling you folks, she's Madonna sly.

Wow...I've been just trying to let this one die. I suppose I've got to resond to this one. I hear Madonna spends six hours a day at the gym. She's got all kinds of time to be sly. Let me tell you about my 8/12. . . . . This is really a tempest in teacup. Robin and I could not think of a name. I was originally joking. But it seemed to make sense and flow. We got such positive feedback on the name we decided to keep it. That's all.

I'm just a single mother trying to make a living here in DC. I have two kids to raise and put through school. I have bills to pay and so does Robin. . . . We're just (if the DCRA would quit its Mad Hatter Tea Party) trying open a store and get some additional income to pay off some debt.

. . . . Those of you who don't know....I do all of the cooking at CK. ALL OF IT. I doubt I'll have time to shop at daSto, let alone think of my next "sly" maneuver.

You'd think it was Slant-eyed Charlie's House of Braised Puppies.

(quoted material excerpted and emphasis removed.)

:blink::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man, Hooligan takes the prize! and I did appreciate the day in the life. Such a change from Kitchen Confidential, where half the staff was on dope, it seemed. But where's the glamor!

And raising two kids and getting them through school is really a second job of its own.

At least, since Gillian Clark is doing all the cooking, she is assured of the quality of the food served at her place. I just hope she doesn't overwork herself. I want her to stay in business a long time.

I don't think she's Madonna sly, she's not reinventing herself all the time, she's a woman with goals. (Sly, even in context with the Mother of All Promotional Marketing, is not always a compliment). Gillian Clark is her own person and she's already proved she is willing to stand up for her own standards in the "special order" controversy in Sietsema's chat. People did not like reading that they should eat what they are served in her restaurant (which was her opinion). I have not read where she caved. And some people liked the name. She said so in her post.

The publicity is, please pardon me, gravy. It rarely hurts to have the public become more aware of a restaurant, and egullet is reaping some publicity too. Maybe negative but if people bother to come to this site of alleged stiffnecks and hyper-PC-ites, they will find it's so much more than fussing about respect for diversity or PCness. You can LEARN stuff and have fun reading people's ideas and comments from all over the country and the world.

As for her store's name, I accept her explanation, people do talk that way, in the country and in the city, people who can speak quite formal English even. It's a colloquialism, the way you talk around people who know you. Sounds like a tourist destination, kind of. Especially after hearing about More Betta Meaty Meat, on the same block as the The Spike Lee Store (can't be coincidence). I'm not thrilled about another kitsch store but if it profits and allows them to pay down debt, more power to her. :biggrin: Oops, I've run on a bit, sorry about that.

Wow this thread does not die! I have to admit, after reading it, alot of the comments on here, struck me as being so PC they made me want to puke!

And quite a few are just a little but smug. I think Hooligan has it right. Leave Gillian with her name. It fits. Maybe if some white toast person opened up a little store in a predominantly black (or should I say African American?) area and named it DaSto it might seem weird but she has a great name!

What is the big freaking deal?

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

On the plus side, it's given me a great idea for naming the bakery I've been fixing to open. You all come on down to Honky Whitebread's now, you hear? Can't miss it, it's right next door to Jarad's puppy place.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

these two destinations wouldnt happen to be around the corner from my new funeral parlor would they?

coughlan's - putting the 'fun' back in funeral !

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

True story:

Tonight, two friends show up at my bar. Both of them are bartenders. I said "you're all dressed up, where ya been?"

"At a wake"

"So, you showed up here for a stiff one......"

Sorry

twisted and tasteless, high degree of potential offensiveness - my kind of humor.

you have put a smile on my face.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

• 1 month later...
  I won't tell you to go to Burger King...although that is a phrase mumbled by many a line cook when the waiter reads us the litany of menu exceptions for a allergic, dieting, or picky customer.  (I've sung the jingle behind the line when I was cooking). 

Picture Gillian singing the Do-Re-Mi song:

"Don't blame me for sots at da Sto"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Alert to Joe H: I stopped in daSto yesterday, and they had an In-N-Out Burger T-shirt for sale.

As an aside, I had brunch at Colorado Kitchen yesterday, and tried to slink in unnoticed. However, midway through the meal, my server came up to the table, said "this is from Chef," and put a small, white plate in front of me. On the plate was ... a teabag.

Alert to Joe H:  I stopped in daSto yesterday, and they had an In-N-Out Burger T-shirt for sale.

As an aside, I had brunch at Colorado Kitchen yesterday, and tried to slink in unnoticed.  However, midway through the meal, my server came up to the table, said "this is from Chef," and put a small, white plate in front of me.  On the plate was ... a teabag.

I don't get it. :huh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W