• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calabria

coughy

I met friends for dinner last night in a restaurant I had resisted going to for years because of perception. I viewed this place like I did the old Don's in Livingston where the cars is the parking lot were only the most expensive but the food was awful. This restaurant is not far from where Don's was and the cars are just as expensive so I was never tempted to even try it.

I walked in to a dark bar where smoking is allowed and was met by a very nice hostess who showed me to my table of friends. The dining room is very pretty as the entire restaurant was recently re-done. It is very loud though.

The menu was extensive and choosing was difficult. They do offer a whole wheat pasta dish for those who are doing South Beach. As an appetizer I picked a Romaine Salad which was a big plate of lettuce with blue cheese, pignolis, artichoke hearts (canned) and sun dried tomatoes in a light dressing. I thought this was very good. For my main dish I settled on Tuna Provencale which was two nice size pieces of tuna that I ordered rare - but came more medium. This was accompanied by 1/2 a roasted potato and a few sauteed vegetables. I thought that the tuna was good even though it was cooked more than I liked it. It also came with a side of pasta with red sauce. The pasta was gummy and the sauce was okay. My friend had grilled salmon on a bed of spinach that she really enjoyed as did my friend who had a HUGE plate of eggplant parmagiana. None of us had dessert so I didn't see what they had to offer. They have a liquor license and a pretty big wine list but none of us were drinking. With a glass each of ice tea and coffee our bill came to $155 for five people plus tip.

I will definitely give this place another try and insist on rarer fish. I was surprised that on a Tuesday night the place was crowded.

Edited by coughy (log)

This restaurant sounds like one located in Clifton called Jamie's.

I was wondering if anyone has eaten there? It is by the Allwood Circle. Parking lot is always full with expensive cars and valet parking is a must, even though the parking spaces are right in front of the door. Just curious if anyone has eaten there or knows the place. I am afraid to try it :)

http://jamiesrestaurant.com/

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Ever since Calabria expanded, it has gone downhill. Don't think they expanded the kitchen or staff. The food was adequate before, now it is barely adequate, plus you have to wait forever for it. The "fancy" side was always a bit of a rip off, and now it is just unbearable.

Rosie is right, there are better choices in the area.