• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mamoun's

Pan

We haven't had a thread on this venerable old felafel/shawarma place on 119 Macdougal St. yet. I notice that it is not on this year's New York Magazine 103 Cheap Eats Under $25 - also look at this eGullet thread on the 2004 NY Mag list - but it was on last year's list (see 7 Favorite Falafel Sandwiches). I haven't gone there lately, because Chickpea is so close to my place, but I doubt that Mamoun's has gone downhill. Do you like Mamoun's? What do you like best there? And do you have any strategies for when to show up if you want quick service and a seat? As many of you no doubt know, Mamoun's is usually pretty crowded.

Michael aka "Pan"

I lived next door to mamouns for over a year and they actually were my landlords, but before i knew that i had been eating there for 5 yrs. the service is quick , its cheap as hell and even though it can get busy it moves fast.

i love chick pea though bc its a bit more upscale, you can put lots of other things on your sanwich and they offer whole wheat pita which i love. also they have the fun little pita bread machine that you can watch while you wait.

i also loved the baklava at mamouns and i m a picky baklava girl bc i m greek and my family makes it,,,, but its always been pretty good!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I like Mamoun's too -- though I agree it's gone downhill in recent years. They had an outpost in Albany, NY (really!), maybe an upstate eG'er can confirm if it's still there...

As for the one near NYU -- I've found it's best to avoid it on weekends. I have better luck when I have a weekday off, it's calmer there during the week. And earlier is better than later -- college students sleep late and wake up hungry!

I still miss Alfanoose, down here in the fin'l district, which shut its doors a couple of months ago. I know Suzanne F. will back me up on this one!

I thought the other Mamouns was in New Haven.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I like Mamoun's too -- though I agree it's gone downhill in recent years.

I don't think anyone else in this thread has said it's gone downhill. When do you think it was better?

Michael aka "Pan"