• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Israeli cous cous

What is Israeli cous cous? I.e., how's it different from the "regular" (North African) kind? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had cous cous in Israel so now you've piqued my interest...

The only alternative I know of, to the regular cracked wheat cous cous, is barley cous cous and I've seen that at various supermarkets around town - the usual suspects. It's made by Belazu or something like that.

I had this at the Capital recently - quite wonderful

Its a very large grain cous cous - size of chickpeas

I finally found out from Charlie Trotter's Meat & Game that its called Israeli cous cous - of course - it could be called anything over here.

Oh dear - visit to satanbury's - here we come

- any particular branch - its years since I;ve been in one of those

thanks for your help

You may have much more luck looking for them under a different name. "Israeli coucous" are a commercial name for a round durum wheat grain product the size of pearls, these are made like pasta. But Muslim communities have been making the archetype for these for sometime, not sure how long the produc has been made in Jewish communities. In Morocco they are known as "mhammas", in Tunisia "berkouche". These latter products "are made like  couscous but dried in balls, rolled in onion juice,  dried, and rolled again in more flour for a second round. This makes them larger and able to withstand boiling" (from Paula Wolfert).

Best bet would be to visit a middle-eastern food store and describe what you are looking for, proberly best not to ask for Israeli coucous initially.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

As far as my food memory goes back P'titim, (ICC) is an old product round here. I had it 35 years ago as a kid in a visit to a Kibbutz. Generally speaking it was and still is regarded as a basic ingredient usually made to feed the masses in places such as kibbutz or an army base. Some use it at home. Personally (after about 20 years of cooking At home) I have never made it. I would always go for various paste types, (normal) Cous Cous or rice. Never felt the urge , though it is nice to see it (and taste it across the ocean) as an Israeli food invention.

My Jewish cooking knowledge is somewhat limited.

I attach a link to Osem, the largest Israeli manufacturer for ICC:

http://www.osem.co.il/Eng/_Articles/Articl...oryID=34&Page=1

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

Shalom Boaziko, hi all,

israeli couscous seems to be very well described in this thread, I see it all over the place more or less.......in golders green i think.......in nyc at kalustyans among other places, and paule wolfert is so right, being a nice fat round shape means you can boil it. i think also it is lightly toasted which keeps it light and holding together during its boiling.

I like it the best cooked drained than placed into a rich fish broth, maybe with a little tomatoes, garlic etc. Top it with chopped chilantro, a sprinkle of north african spices, and a smidge of hot pepper, or with shreds of basil or parsley.......and if you can, on top of this place a nice grilled (barbecued) fish or piece of fish. very elegant, and the broth makes a nice light sauce and the couscous is delicious in it. lemon or lime wedge to squeeze in........

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Ciao,

Cool topic - p'titim, one of my all time favorite foods is definetely Israeli - the link Boaz posted confirms that. My fav. preperation for the 'israeli couscous' is to sautee some onions really well - 10 or min minutes in butter and olive oil - then add the p'titim, toast like you would risotto, and slowly add stock until the p'titim are cooked. I would pronounce p'titim like this - p teeteem!!

Why would you not initially ask for Israeli couscous if that is what you are looking for..you scared?? Huh, huh?? (don't be!!)

Ciao,

Ore

I don't think that there is an issue with Israeli couscous and p'titim not being Israeli? But unlike mhammas they pasta, not formed like couscous. Two different products, the Israeli couscous proberly being modeled on mhammas, unless there is also a Jewish equivalent? So not all round pasta/couscous products are infact Israeli couscous, although this seems to be the perception in the English speaking world.

So failing to find Israeli couscous you could also ask for the similar Muslim product?

I'm afraid I don't think very much of this article, I know bugger all about the topic, but I can still see many flaws:

- as I tried to say previously "Israeli couscous" and maftoul/mhammas/maftul/maghribiyya are by in large different produces made in a different ways and have different cooking properties. Having said that I imagine that more maftul/maftoul will be made in the manner of Israeli couscous in the future, so maybe this is a little academic.

- Couscous isn't really pasta, "Israeli couscous" is. It is a pity about the name of the latter product really.

- what is "tedious" about steaming couscous in a couscousière/kiskis? It is no more effort them making mashed potato. Also the couscous steamed in a couscousière isn't really the same as the instant stuff. Try adding water to non-instant couscous and eating it.

- If attention is going to be drawn to the fact that Israeli couscous is a pasta, why not describe how it can be cooked like other similar pasta products(orzo etc), rather then comparing it to risotto?

BLH,

Did you try around Golders Green?

If you are realy in a need for an ICC fix, I could send you a few packs with someone who can put it in the London postal system next week.

Please Pm Me.

Boaziko

Thanks for the offer - very much appreciated. There are places near by me in stamford hill but they aren't open when I can get there - Saturdays!

but - finally got some in Marylebone waitrose - now got figure out what to do with them ....