• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camden eateries

GregD

Heading to Camden on PATCO on Wednesday for the Atlantic League all-star game. Any recommendations on places to pick up good sandwiches or other fast fare? Especially near the city hall area?

All I know is that there is some of the most authentic Mexican food to be found in Camden but in the barrio area where you need to watch your step. Stopped at one such place after a trip to the aquarium with the kids and had some excellent tacos, but again, that was during the day.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I would certainly think Camden would have some great authentic Mexican, but it brings new meaning to "food worth dying for".

If I am not mistaken, the place that invented panzarotti in the late 60s or early 70s is still around in east Camden. It's on Old Marlton Pike.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I would certainly think Camden would have some great authentic Mexican, but it brings new meaning to "food worth dying for".

Nah. There's a place on or just off 130 somewheres called Mexico Lindo which is excellent. I've never felt unsafe there. They have my favorite goat tacos I've ever had.

Here's one suggestion for cheesesteaks:

Donkey's Place

Ahem Katie.

Donkey's Place

Ahem...

4_17_209.gif

I stand corrected, Oh Great One.

Who's pandering? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Here's one suggestion for cheesesteaks:

Donkey's Place

Ahem Katie.

Donkey's Place

Hey, it's important for Katie to show that she's not biased or is pandering towards her fellow moderators.

I checked the eGullet User Agreement. Read it twice just to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

There is absolutely no ban against pandering to moderators.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If I am not mistaken, the place that invented panzarotti in the late 60s or early 70s is still around in east Camden. It's on Old Marlton Pike.

I think Franco's in Haddon Twp/Westmont claims to be the originator of the panzarotti. Maybe their original location is/was in Camden?

I think the Mexican places are on Federal St. I ate at Taco Loco years ago--cheap and tasty, with a good Mexican grocery store across the street.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

If I am not mistaken, the place that invented panzarotti in the late 60s or early 70s is still around in east Camden.  It's on Old Marlton Pike.

I think Franco's in Haddon Twp/Westmont claims to be the originator of the panzarotti. Maybe their original location is/was in Camden?

I think the Mexican places are on Federal St. I ate at Taco Loco years ago--cheap and tasty, with a good Mexican grocery store across the street.

It's antics with semantics. A lot of places say they serve “the original panzarotti” which they do via a license agreement. That is different that being the originator of the panzarotti which started in Camden as per the linked story.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra