• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shipping wine to California from Overseas

arkestra

I live in California and would like to have someone overseas ship me a couple bottles of wine. Does anyone know if that is allowed? I did some quick online research and saw that California permits wine to be shipped from certain other states based on the principle of reciprocity. But I didn't find anything about shipping wine from overseas. What to do?

What country would your friend be shipping from? And for what reason? I'm assuming you are not a retailer but a private individual.

I have had wine shipped from Europe. The best route is DHL and (the more crucial part) is to have it shipped in the winter. Now that it is summertime, you risk having your wine completely ruined by it being stored in very hot shipping containers and trucks.

Have your friend find an international shipper to handle it. It will be a bit of a hassel, and a bit more expensive, but the paper work will be in order, and you'll receive the package.

I have a friend who is overseas from time to time and he has tried to ship me wine (unknowingly to me) via USPS and Fedex under the guise of olive oil or books. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera