• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squid/Tripe Secrets!

MB,

I find it very cool that I can hear your voice when reading your posts, I have no idea what anyone else on our board sounds like!

1) Do you throw a couple corks into your water for squid and where/when did this technique come about?

2) Saw your show on tripe and you added a bit of vanilla (and something else) in your broth for simmer. Whassup with that?! How/when/where did you figure that out?

Thanks for joining us this week. Take a break when your fingers get tired typing.

JohnnyD

South Portland, ME

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

it seems that every cook in italy over the age of 50 knows the cork and encephalopod trick and nobody any younger does... hmmm it works trust the elders!!!!! for the tripe i add vanilla and a little red wine vinegar to the initial cook, it removes the uric acid smell that for some reason the french seem to love in their andouillettes, oh those smelly frogs!!!it is important not to over cook the tripe in the first cook, or the whole thing gets the texture of horse snot, or so imagine the equine nose batter must be mb