• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Victoria & Albert's

Susan in FL

Our dinner at Victoria & Albert's was the perfect special occasion, from the making of the reservation to the time we departed, menus and chocolate anniversary card and long stem red rose in hand.

For anyone unfamiliar with the dining experience at this restaurant: When the reservation is made, they give a full explanation of what you can expect, such as the appropriate attire and the cost of the meal, and ask several pertinent questions in order for them to prepare to serve you. They check on such things as the correct spelling of your names, so they can personalize your menu, and whether you have any food allergies or restrictions. The menu changes daily.

Service by the "Victorias" and the "Alberts" is exceptional. We were told ahead of time to expect to dine for about two and a half hours, and throughout they neither rushed nor slowed the pace we desired. It was as though they had radar, sensing our thoughts before we spoke them aloud. They were able to provide this kind of service, yet locate themselves at a distance, giving us privacy. When we spoke with staff, they were knowledgable with just the right amount of humor.

The food was superb. Everything tasted so good, and looked beautiful. There were six courses, preceeded by an Amuse and followed by coffee, etc. It was Prix Fixe, $95.00 each, a very reasonable price for such food, service, and setting. We took the suggested six wine pairings, which again at $50.00 per guest was well worth it.

I tried and tried to photograph our menu so that it would be readable, but couldn't get it clear enough, so I made the shot smaller just to give you an idea what it looked like.

i9272.jpg

The Amuse was a crab cake with tasty garnishes; however, it wasn't named on the menu, so I can't remember the description. With it was served a glass of Iron Horse "Fairy Tale Cuvee" Brut, Green Valley 1995. We did order cocktails before that... my husband, a Bass Ale and I a Cosmopolitan. These were my menu selections, and the wine pairings (beer with the soup):

Lemon Grass Poached Lobster with Pickled Papaya and Tat Soi

Monchof "Astor" Kabinett Riesling, Mosel 2002

Roasted Quail with Heirloom Tomatoes, Candied Potatoes and Tomato Water

Marques de Arienzo Reserva, Rioja 1998

Brie Leek Maui Onion Cream Soup

Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes, Belgium

Roasted Duck with Mission Figs and Consomme and Foie Gras Tortellini

Hartford Pinot Noir, Sonoma 2002

Colston Bassett Stilton "Cheesecake" with Bing Cherry Compote

Croft Fine Tawny, Porto

Pyramid of Tanzani Chocolate Mousse

"Celebes" Coffee, Tea and Friandise

Russ chose a different third course and main course:

Barely Seared Ivory King Salmon with Asparagus and Ramps

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2003

Grilled Prime Filet with Brentwood Corn Risotto, Natural Jus

Wynns Cabernet Sauvignon, Coonawarra 2001

He ordered Grand Marnier Souffle, and we shared desserts with each other.

It was an awesome celebration!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

You are the third or fourth person I know who is knowledgeable about food, who raved about V & A's. So it must be true! Who'da thunk Disney could do it? Or whomever they have managing the property.

Oh yes, Disney's quite capable of doing it. :)

We've dined at Victoria & Alberts twice. Did the Chef's Table in 1997, and the restaurant itself when we did a weekend there for our 20th anniversary in 1999. (Our fondest hope for our 25th this spring would've been a return visit, but lack of jobs/$ has forced a delay.)

As posted, the staff explains in advance what you're in for; and encourages you to express any preferences and (especially) restrictions.

At the Chef's Table, diners are encouraged to ask any and all questions of the chefs - "how'd you do that?" and the like. Ken is still regretting not having asked enough questions back then; which is why he so wants that return visit. Oh yes - Mickey and Minnie make a brief appearance; and we have a lovely picture of the four of us. :)

Although we enjoyed the dining room experience, and the service was indeed excellent, it was a step below the dedicated service of the Chef's Table. Nevertheless, Victoria and Alberts is a wonderful place for a special dinner on the Disney property. But we still wax nostalgic for The Empress Room on The Empress Lilly riverboat; which was the top restaurant on the property 25 years ago. (And how little did we know back then...)

As for other restaurants on the Disney property, Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge and Flying Fish at The Boardwalk were pretty good back then. We found the California Grill disappointing back in 1997, but we may well have hit it on a bad night.

Now we REALLY want to get back there...

We also loved Victoria and Albert's when we were there. We took our son with us, and he was treated like royalty. It was a wonderful experience for a very reasonable cost. And the food was awesome as well. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

When Disney sets out to do something first class, they deliver. Maybe the key is what they set out to do, whether it be dining, accomodations, service, landscaping, exhibits, Mission Space, or whatever. I have found that the dining in resorts lives up to that reputation. There is some good food to be had in the theme parks, but generally speaking, that is not where they are setting out to deliver fine dining. We have eaten at a few places in Epcot, for example, and they were good, but not very-very good or excellent. Victoria & Albert's was excellent. Thursday we ate lunch at the Rose & Crown Pub, in the United Kingdom, Epcot. It was OK, a good example of bangers and mash and a nice sampler of British draft beers, but it was a typical theme park meal.

I think Downtown Disney is more a reflection of the particular restaurant than of Disney in general. I would be interested in what others think about that. I absolutely loved a lunch I had at Wolfgang Puck's a year or two ago, and Friday I liked our lunch at Bongo's but was not wow'ed by it; I attribute those impressions to Puck's and Bongo's more than to Disney.

Anyway, yes, Helena, you are right... Disney is quite capable of doing it! After our dinner at Victoria & Albert's, I want to go back and eat at the Chef's Table. For our anniversary, we were interested in the more private, romantic setting, but I think a return trip at the Chef's Table for the two of us or with friends or family would be really fun.

And Marlene, I can imagine that they would treat a young person especially like royalty... what a great experience for a kid! Our sons aren't kids anymore, but I would love to take them.

Suzanne, I hope you have an opportunity to dine there someday!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I dined at Victoria and Albert's last week, and it was a delicious meal with extraordinarily attentive service. None of the dishes put me on the floor in ecstasy, but all were excellent in flavor and beautifully presented. I really should do a writeup. The only misstep I can point to is that they had a service table right in the room where they arranged silverware. This was occasionally distracting. Also, I should note that they have only early and late seatings. 6:30 was the latest "early" and then 8:00 or so was the earliest late seating. I thought it was worth the money, but unlike Taillevent I don't regard it as a tremendous value.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA