• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaghetto alla Bolognese in NY.

crazycow28

I don't know the answer. But on my one night in Bologna, I felt compelled to order, of course, bolognese. All I'll say is, prepare to be disappointed. Why come all this way to have bolognese?

I don't know the answer.  But on my one night in Bologna, I felt compelled to order, of course, bolognese.  All I'll say is, prepare to be disappointed.  Why come all this way to have bolognese?

I can't agree with this in substance. I know Batali can make a good Bolognese ragu' in his reataurants -- I've had it, its good -- as can Bastianich at Becco and any number of good places specializing in freshly made pasta in NY. You just need to know where to go.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Fresh pasta, usually tagliatelle or fettuccine (for the life of me I can't detact any difference between the two) alla bolognese is generally well-made and well represented in most of NYC's better Italian restaurants. Two of the best versions I've had recently were at Bravo Gianni on East 63rd and at Via Emilia, on Park Ave. South,

Ruth Reichl is editor of Gourmet magazine.

Some people travel to find their roots. Italians come to New York to find their branches. Most Italian tourists seem to want to visit Little Italy. Crazycow, if you come to Little Italy, stop in at DiPalo's shop on Grand Street. Little Italy, however, is no longer a thriving Italian immigrant community. All that remains is a street of Italian restaurants of varying quality, but mostly serving tourists. Along Grand Street there are three or four old time shops, of which DiPalo's remains my favorite by far, among a sea of signs in Chinese for shops catering to the new residents.

Albie - Fettucine should be wider than tagliatelle and linguine should be narrow than either, as far as I know, although I'm sure some people may not agree. I'm not aware if there's a standard width for each, but this is from a web advertisement for a Tagliatelle and Fettuccine Attachment:

Convenient double cutter for your Imperia pasta machine. Makes 2mm (Tagliatelle) and 6.5mm (Fettuccine) noodle sizes.

However, The Food Lover's Companion, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst, claims "Tagliatelle" is the name used in northern Italy for fettuccine.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Most Italian tourists seem to want to visit Little Italy. Crazycow, if you come to Little Italy, stop in at DiPalo's shop on Grand Street. Little Italy, however, is no longer a thriving Italian immigrant community. All that remains is a street of Italian restaurants of varying quality, but mostly serving tourists.

And, in many cases, owned by Albanians.

There is, however, a very authentic "Little Italy" in the Belmont neighborhood (Arthur Avenue area) of the Bronx, easily accessible from Manhattan by bus and subway.

Edited by enrevanche (log)

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Giorgio's of Gramercy, surprisingly, makes a great bolognese.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes