• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burrito Stand

j_web

Just started to go to the burrito stand at the corner of 17th and K when I need a quick bite and can't make it up to Well Dressed. Simple, good and cheap.

There is a burrito stand at 17th & K? Which corner, the east of the part, or west?

There's also a burrito cart at 15th and K that I've been to a few times and found to be pretty good (even by my Californian standards). The guy has a great array of hot sauces for customizing your burrito. It's on the west side of McPherson Square, in front of the CVS on K Street. Most days he has a line down the block.

There's also a burrito cart at 15th and K that I've been to a few times and found to be pretty good (even by my Californian standards). The guy has a great array of hot sauces for customizing your burrito. It's on the west side of McPherson Square, in front of the CVS on K Street. Most days he has a line down the block.

I think this is the cart that is run by the guy that used to be a senior associate at one of the big law firms down town. He chucked it all to sell burritos.

I think this is the cart that is run by the guy that used to be a senior associate at one of the big law firms down town. He chucked it all to sell burritos.

My wife used to rave about this one when she worked in the neghborhood. It was all vegetarian. But it closed up when she was still there in 2002 and she was devastated. It may have reopened since, however.

Bill Russell

The burrito cart historians in my office tell me that the current guy is not the original ex-lawyer, but he uses the original recipes, which were bequeathed to him after the lawyer's retirement from the burrito cart business.

There was a burrito cart parked occasionally outside Kogan Plaza at GW, with an impressive array of sauces and a lady running it, but I was always kind of creeped out by the prospect. We have Cart Pasta and Pizza Guy who seems to do very well, and Cart Coffee Guy, who is my regular stop on the way to work, but Cart Burrito Lady didn't seem to take off. From the positive things on this thread, perhaps I am all turned around on the subject of Cart Burritos. I would have tried Lawyer Burrito Cart Guy, because total respect for that. Plus, that'll probably be me in 15-20 years when I'm burnt out on computer science.

--C.S.

Planning His Mid-Life Crisis Since 2003

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know anything new about the Burrito Cart situation downtown? I felt adventurous enough to try one today and walked right past the 17th+K guy, choosing to first try the 15th+K guy, having heard more talk about him. (I work at 15th and L.) However, there was no cart guy at 15th+K!!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the burrito report:

I've sampled the 15th+K burrito stand twice now. They've got a fledgling website at www.pedroandvinnys.com. Right now, you can find out when they'll be set up. It looks like they'll have a menu up soon.

But from what I recall, the menu isn't that hard. You start out by choosing your tortilla (he's got a flavor assortment for a surcharge of 25 cents) and cheese.

Next you choose your size (S,M,L) and ingredients (beans and rice). The small doesn't include rice, from what I recall. He's got a black bean concoction and refried beans. You can get one or the other or both for a "black and tan." It comes with a mild tomato and onion salsa if you want it. Sour cream is an extra 25 cents and guacamole is 75 cents.

You can then choose an additional sauce, and he's got tons. (Think Rockland's wall of sauces.)

He's got an honor system payment box (think Galileo grill), and it's up to you generally to figure out the cost.

The ingredients are tasty and in good weather he gets a nice line. He also seems to have a punch card system (think Subway stamps) for frequent customers.

Next report: 17th and K burrito guy.