• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

2003 Planeta, La Segreta (bianco):

Even more ripe, fruit forward and luscious than the recently tasted ’02 with good acids and a freshness that such just released wines sometimes have. Delicious juice. Imported by Vias Imports.

With risotto alla Milanese:

1999 Produttori de Barbaresco, Barbaresco:

Ripe and quite forward with an expansive nose and a rich, integrated palate; very concentrated, smooth in the mouth, almost hidden structure, some complexity and good length. A little hard to believe it shows this well this young. A fine bottle now; I wonder if it will age? Imported by Vias Imports.

With parmesan crusted chicken breasts with summer squash:

1997 Il Podre Dell’ Olivos, Teroldego:

This central coast blend is relatively simple on the nose and palate, smooth in the mouth, richly textured and clearly done in the California style. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with the wine and I see how one of our guests found it voluptuous but I thought it boring. My loss.

With cheese plate:

1998 Cantina del Pino, Barbaresco “Ovello”:

A brooding and serious nebbiolo with depth, structure and intensity; substantially more complex than the Prodttori and in need of continued aging, this is developing into a magnificent example of Barbaresco. I should have bought more, but that was then . . .

Imported by Cavatappi Distribuzione of Kirkland, WA.

With sautéed bananas with macadamia nuts and yogurt cheese:

1972 Bodegas Toro Albala, P.X. Gran Reserva (375):

The best showing for this wine in the last three years; perfectly balanced sweetness and acidity, deeply flavored, oily texture and endless finish. ‘Killer with the dish. Imported by Classical Wines of Seattle, WA.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com