• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary in DelMarVa

mhberk

Our anniversary is next month and we had plans to go up to Philly, but it looks like we would rather stay around here. We are considering Hay-Adams, but I remember somebody mentioning a historic Inn somewhere in Virginia (not Inn at Little Washington) that sounded perfect. I just can't find the thread that had that post.

Would somebody help and share some suggestions/experiences so I can suprise my wife and make our 1st anniversary a memorable and romantic one? I would like to make it under $400 for meal and room. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

There are many inns with restaurants. $400 is not quite as large of a figure as you might think when you factor in $200 or so for the room and assuming you're going to drink some wine. Auberge Provencial, Four and Twenty Blackbirds, Palladio at Barboursville Vineyards are three restaurants that come to mind along with, say, the Clifton Inn west of Charlottesville. For all four you may want to consider a separate Inn/hotel for the evening, perhaps in Charlottesville.

In Maryland the Inn at Easton for dinner.

Personally I'd stay and eat at the Flint Hill Public House in Flint Hill, VA on a sat night and then catch Sunday brunch at Four & Twenty Blackbirds across the street.

The Ashby Inn is in Paris, VA, nice location but the meal is so-so. L'Auberge Provencal is very nice B&B, but we were thoroughly unimpressed and downright disappointed with the meal (plus it set us back about $300+ for 2 people to add insult to injury).

There are lots of places in Fauquier, Rappahanock and Loudoun counties. You can do it for $400, but you'll have to either settle for a less expensive meal or a less expensive B&B.

In the Loudoun/Middleburg I would stay at either The Goodstone Inn & Estate (beautiful, definitely a great experience and may be in your price range depending on the night of the week and the season - but the rooms can reach the $400 range during peak season), The Red Fox Inn, and as mentioned The Ashby Inn in Paris. There's also Poplar Springs (inn, restaurant & spa) in Warrenton - I have yet to go there but hear good things about the food. For food I agree with 4&20 Blackbirds, Ashby, L'Auberge & Palladio. I haven't been to The Public House in about a year and half. The food was good then but I've heard mixed reviews since. One thing to note: If you end up in Rappahannock DO NOT STAY at The Blue Rock Inn. They're website is VERY out of date and there have been absolute horror stories coming out of that place over the past year.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

These are all great suggestions!! Right now I'm torn between a nice inn (where most of them have no vacancies on June 19) or a nice hotel, like the Hay-Adams or the Willard, and going to a local 3 or 4 star restaurant. Can anyone suggest any really nice restaurants close to Hay-Adams and The Willard?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Since June 19th is a Saturday, your $400 could get you a Deluxe King room at the Park Hyatt on M St., a superb dinner at Melrose downstairs and the accompanying big band and dancing for free, if you like that sort of thing. Let them know it's your anniversary and I expect you'll get even more high-touch handling than usual.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

These are all great suggestions!! Right now I'm torn between a nice inn (where most of them have no vacancies on June 19) or a nice hotel, like the Hay-Adams or the Willard, and going to a local 3 or 4 star restaurant. Can anyone suggest any really nice restaurants close to Hay-Adams and The Willard?

If you are going to consider the hotel angle, look into the Morrison House ( a Relais & Chateaux property (whatever that means)) in Old Town. You could walk to Restaurant Eve, or the hotel has a great restaurnant called Elysium.

These are all great suggestions!!  Right now I'm torn between a nice inn (where most of them have no vacancies on June 19) or a nice hotel, like the Hay-Adams or the Willard, and going to a local 3 or 4 star restaurant.  Can anyone suggest any really nice restaurants close to Hay-Adams and The Willard?

If you are going to consider the hotel angle, look into the Morrison House ( a Relais & Chateaux property (whatever that means)) in Old Town. You could walk to Restaurant Eve, or the hotel has a great restaurnant called Elysium.

Thanks mnebergall!! This place completely slipped my mind for some reason. The minute I read your post, I called up and reserved a Deluxe room and then made a reservation at Restaurant Eve. I can't wait!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

These are all great suggestions!!  Right now I'm torn between a nice inn (where most of them have no vacancies on June 19) or a nice hotel, like the Hay-Adams or the Willard, and going to a local 3 or 4 star restaurant.  Can anyone suggest any really nice restaurants close to Hay-Adams and The Willard?

Thanks mnebergall!! This place completely slipped my mind for some reason. The minute I read your post, I called up and reserved a Deluxe room and then made a reservation at Restaurant Eve. I can't wait!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Meet me at the bar and I will buy you and your spouse a beverage.

Meet me at the bar and I will buy you and your spouse a beverage.

I might just take you up on that offer. :smile:

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Our anniversary is next month and we had plans to go up to Philly, but it looks like we would rather stay around here. We are considering Hay-Adams, but I remember somebody mentioning a historic Inn somewhere in Virginia (not Inn at Little Washington) that sounded perfect. I just can't find the thread that had that post.

Would somebody help and share some suggestions/experiences so I can suprise my wife and make our 1st anniversary a memorable and romantic one? I would like to make it under $400 for meal and room. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

If you're still looking for an inn with a very good restaurant, check out The Inn at Easton (Maryland)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I had heard mixed reviews on the Public House also, so we went to check it out. Wow. What a deal. Got a nice seat out on the deck/patio area beautiful gardens lovely sunset, great affordable wine list and the food was dynamite. Fun spot. sextons are right do not go to the Blue Rock. It was the single most unsavory experience we had ever endured. Four and Twenty is a cute spot but the menu lacks value and the wine list is laughable. 24 bucks for Yellow Tail... it's 6 bucks at Giant. And the place across the street, the Griffin Tavern is like bad tgiFridays. Those are my Rappahannock experiences/opinions. Had a good meal at Ashby Inn but the service was abysmal, like they couldn't care less we were there.

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

—George W. Bush in Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it is determined that I will be going to the Morrison House in Old Town for our anniversary on 6/19, can any of the locals offer some recommendations of things to do during the day (places to go, markets, sight seeing, etc)? It looks like there is a festival going on while we're down there (Waterfront Festival). Has anyone been to it in past years?

Thanks again!!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Now that it is determined that I will be going to the Morrison House in Old Town for our anniversary on 6/19, can any of the locals offer some recommendations of things to do during the day (places to go, markets, sight seeing, etc)? It looks like there is a festival going on while we're down there (Waterfront Festival). Has anyone been to it in past years?

Thanks again!!

There is a farmers' market in front of City Hall on Saturday morning. Alexandria is known for its frequent fireworks displays so I would make it a point to be down by the river by 10:30 to view them. Since the Waterfront Festival will be in full swing on Saturday, you should go down there and see what's up.

There is a farmers' market in front of City Hall on Saturday morning.  Alexandria is known for its frequent fireworks displays so I would make it a point to be down by the river by 10:30 to view them.  Since the Waterfront Festival will be in full swing on Saturday, you should go down there and see what's up.

Thanks mnebergall!! We have Restaurant Eve Satuday night, but we'll try to make it down to the fireworks by 10:30 (that is if I don't drink too much wine with dinner :biggrin: )

(Sitting for lamb chops)