• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Writing Process

Alton,

To start, my whole family loves your show (husband, kids, me) we can't get enough. We have movie night once a week and more often than not it's Alton night.

Anyway, I was just wondering how long it takes you to complete the "writing process" for your books, from start to finish (idea/writing to publication/distribution). Do you enjoy that as much as doing the show?

I can't wait for the baking book to come out.

Cara

Writing books is only a little less fun than writing shows which really isn't that much fun at all. Actually, shows are a lot easier because they're fast and relatively contained. Books are nearly impossible to manage (for me at least) and they cause me great frustration. I wrote IJHFTF in three months but I don't think that's the industry norm.