• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China 46

Jason Perlow

I wasn't aware Cecil did a traditional Sunday dim sum. I've ordered stuff from his "dim sum" menu before but I didnt think he did the instant gratification type of dim sum that you get at say, Silver Pond in Fort Lee (by far my favorite dim sum in the entire area)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

When DH and I went there last night, one of the waiters said that The Record did another write-up on them. (At least that is what I thought he said) I know there was a great review in 2002. There is nothing except the early NYT and 2002 Record review on their web page.

Anyone know about this?

About the waiters ----- What a great bunch of guys! Hard working, but always with a smile and willing to stop and talk with you.

If they had Dim Sum --- I'd be there!

Just talked to Cecil: For a while now they've been offering more dim sum than is on the regular menu at lunch time on Saturday and Sunday.

And, starting Easter Sunday (April 11th), they are going to start having Sunday brunch, for $11.95 per person. Depending on the response, they are thinking of doing it every Saturday and Sunday. It will be a combination of buffet and passed dim sum.

We're going to check it out now, will be there around 1 PM if anyone wants to join us.

Just talked to Cecil: For a while now they've been offering more dim sum than is on the regular menu at lunch time on Saturday and Sunday.

And, starting Easter Sunday (April 11th), they are going to start having Sunday brunch, for $11.95 per person. Depending on the response, they are thinking of doing it every Saturday and Sunday. It will be a combination of buffet and passed dim sum.

We're going to check it out now, will be there around 1 PM if anyone wants to join us.

Thanks for going to the 'source', Rachel!! Sounds like a winner to me!

You'll let us know how it is??

Well, he seems to offer a few (read as 2 or 3) more types of dumplings on Saturday and Sunday than he does during the week. In addition to ordering off the regular menu we tried a vegetable dumpling which has a good amount of mushrooms in it (very good, but his jiaozi are better) as well as some Shanghai spring rolls which were also good. We also had a really good pan fried (as opposed to deep fried) scallion pancake with egg -- definitely superior to the regular deep fried version. He also had 3 or 4 other cold appetizer type weird-meat things that were only displayed on the specials menu in Chinese.

The main attraction will be the Sunday Brunch, to be sure.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Here's pictures from the new Sunday Buffet at China 46:

i5316.jpg

From left (top & bottom) to right (counterclockwise): pan fried shanghai buns, scallion pancakes with egg ("like chinese matzo brei!"), chicken wings, shrimp toast, shrimp balls with vegetables

i5317.jpg

Hmm, I'm not sure what's in that square container (maybe jook?), on the plates are pan fried rice noodle with bits of meat & veg in the noodle, turnip and red bean cakes, soups in the distance (I had the beef & cabbage soup that didn't taste chinese at all, more like a Russian or Polish soup, kind of sweet & sour.)

i5318.jpg

continuing from first picture: there's the fried chicken wings and shrimp toast again, shrimp balls, tofu squares with meat ball & greens, seaweed powder fried shrimp, and I think that's roast pork in the lower right corner.

They have 3 tables worth of stuff on it, with one large circular table holding about 16 different dishes, a second with soups and a stir fry station, and the other with cold appetizers.

In addition to these 3 tables, Cecil and his staff comes around and deposits other goodies on your table -- Xiao long bao, various stir fry dishes, etc.

For $12 per person its very well worth it. You won't leave hungry.

Captions in green by Rachel

Jason -- Thanks for the pictures and the report.

I think maybe next Sunday----------

I assume they open about 11, but I'll check their web site.

What were some of the items in the pictures?

A crowd? Or is it too new for the the word to be out?

I added captions to Jason's pictures. Not everything was pictured, there were a lot of other dishes on the other side of the table, other dumplings, stir fried snails, fish, noodle dishes, soy sauce chicken, etc. I really enjoyed a dish of pork & greens, also the house sauteed hot pepper, pork & tofu dish, which is usually all diced and served with sesame buns to stuff, was prepared in more of julienne style without the buns. Our friends also had a bowl of sweet soy milk with one of those big fried crullers.

Also, I think they charged the kids by age! Although the sign said "Adults $11.95, Children $6.95," they only charged $3 for my 3 year old god-daughter.

So much has been written about this restaurant over the years from so many egulleteers but IMHO not nearly enough. The food here is truly extraordinary and Cecil and his wife are the most charming of people. So, please tell me why no one seems to go here on weekday evenings.

My wife and I just returned from there and at app. 7:40 when we left the restaurant two other people had just arrived. So, between 6:20 when we got there and 7:40 we were the only people there. We told Cecil how badly we felt for him. People should be waiting on line to get in.

When I think of the terrible, horrific, yucky food served at Chinese rest. in Fort Lee, Englewood, Tenafly, Closter, Edgewater and surrounding areas I am truly dumbfounded that this rest. is virtually empty on a Thursday evening. Yes, it still looks like it's a diner from the outside but whatever happened to word of mouth?

I am worried that at some point they would have to pack it in and all of us that love fine Chinese food will have to drive to Chinatown again. Again, YUCK.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the Sunday brunch yesterday. Had a very good time, but I took too much food - I wanted to try everything, and I didn't realize how much they would be bringing around to the table later.

The hit of the meal was a dish with chunks of chicken in a hot red sauce that they said was not on the menu.

They looked as though they could use more customers, although the waiter said that the brunch is doing pretty well. He said the brunch hours are 11:00 to 3:00.

That seems to be the way they do it (I think Jason or someone mentioned it earlier). They had a number of dishes and 2 soups out as a buffet. They had a stand where the cooked dumplings fresh when you selected them, and they brought out a few more dishes after we sat down.

The latter included the chicken in hot sauce, a dish with bean curd and vegetables, soup dumplings, and a plate of meat-filled dumplings.

The soup I had was a beef and cabbage soup which tasted a lot like middle-european stuffed cabbage.

We were offered ice cream when we were finished, but were too full to take them up on that.

I am looking to take a few friends here tomorrow night. There will probably be 4 of us

total. We are definitely going to order the Ruby Pork. What would you guys recommend

for a beef and shrimp dish? For chicken, Kong Po Chicken or Diced Chicken w. Spicy Capsicum Brown Sauce? I will also order the jiozzi and the meatballs if they have them. I can't wait for my first China 46 experience.

-Al