• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Cortile, Toni Froio's latest incarnation

=Mark

Has anyone been to Il Cortile, Toni Froio's latest incarnation in the building that used to house Mumfords in Long Branch?  She was amazing at the Farmingdale House years ago, and has since had an Italian Deli and Emilianas, another Long Branch establishment that was shot down in flames in a Press review last year.  Have not made it in to check it out yet, but it's on my list along with Indigo Moon and Bella Luna...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

=Mark  Toni is a fabulous chef. But when she worked at Farmingdale House she didn't own the place. She has owned the places she has been since then. I wonder if that has anything to do with her not being successful. I will also put this place on my list. But you go first and let us know! Also, is it BYO?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

When she was at Emiliana the restaurant was reviewed by Andrea Clurfield.  Apparently the food was OK but some of the staff did not know who she was and copped a real attitude.  It got to the point that Clurfield and her party came close to walking out.  She essentially gave them no stars.  Was worse than the one star rip she gave to Fromagerie a few years ago.

According to the press release from last June Il Cortile does have a liquor licence (too bad!)  Interestingly, the photo included with the press release is of the wrong building!  It is of an office building next door that contains a luncheonette and a travel agency...

http://www.123bsc.com/closedpdf/ilcortile.pdf

=Mark

• 1 month later...

Had dinner at Il Cortile last week.  Although technically all the dishes were well prepared and presented, we felt that for the price the portions were kind of skimpy.  Would rate Indigo Moon over Il Cortile.

Have yet to try Bella Luna...

=Mark

Did not mean to frighten anyone!  :)  As I said the food was quite good, it's just that our entrees would have made generous appetizer portions.  For innovative northern Italian cooking in an appealing dining room I'd probably lean towards Buona Sera in Red Bank (Except for Saturday dinner, too noisy).

=Mark