• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with friends

Florida Jim

To start the evening, a comparison:

2002 Pieropan, Soave:

A beautiful aperitif wine, with a clean somewhat floral nose and a crisp, lightly complex palate.

I will buy a case of this almost immediately.

2000 Pieropan, Soave “La Rocca”:

More on the order of a Gruner Veltliner in both aromatics and flavors. Real character here but unsuitable as aperitif. Rather, this deserves sauced food; say, gnocchi with sage butter or some such. Ready now.

Then off to dinner where another friend who brought a surprise bottle met us:

1996 A.P. Villaine, Cote de Chalonaise, Les Clos Bourgogne:

Light but character driven wine that speaks of the soil and the rocks. Charming, albeit simple. Still better than 90% of Bourgogne available today.

2000 R. & V. Dauvissat, Chablis:

Just plain wow. A terrific village Chablis with plenty of flavor and cut. No wood showing and lovely balance.

Surprise:

2000 Chat. Cheval Blanc:

Open 20 Hours/

This is barrel sample stuff with remarkable purity of fruit, almost no complexity, and substantial tannins. If anyone asks, in say twenty or so years, what this tasted like as a child, I will know. But for this moment, such a waste.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim dear, would you mind posting the prices with your notes? I've seen you do that sometimes. It lets me know when I can get my hopes up.

Thank you.

These were all either someone else's bring or purchased in a restaurant.

Although, I understand the price of the Cheval is around $750.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

you might be curious to know Pierre Lurton does not like 2000 cheval blanc, much preferring the 1998. He finds the 2000 too exotic and ripe, lacking cheval character; whereas the 1998 is crisp with elegant tannins and reflects the style he feels is most 'cheval' and correct.

I tend to agree, though the 2000 is of course very fine wine nonetheless.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?