• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pruned my basil

memesuze

I pruned my transplants the other evening, prior to putting them under pots to protect from what was to be a night in the upper 30's [didn't come to pass], so now I have around twenty big leaves still "en stalk" - the whole shebang weighs an ounce.

Any suggestions for them? - my first thought was Jerry Traunfeld's basil oil, reduced by one-third, since his recipe calls for 3 cups gently packed or 3 ounces. But I'm open to other ideas, beside the usual pasta sauce....

Get yourself some pignoli, some parmigiano reggiano, some garlic, throw it in the food processor and make some pesto sauce or spread for bread.

Another possbility is to make insalata caprese, which is simply layered basil, sliced ripe tomato with a little bit of kosher salt, mozzarella with a nice peppery olive oil over it. Serve with crusty bread.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I usually make pesto in bulk. Twenty leaves won't cut it :smile: . I cook salmon filets layered with fresh basil and tomatoes. Twenty leaves is about enough for 4 servings. I'll give you the recipe if you're interested. Robyn

Eggplant parmesan made with layers of tomato sauce, eggplant, real parmigiano reggiano (no mozzarella), and whole basil leaves. I pretty much follow the recipe in Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

I'm holding off on the caprese until the tomatoes at Boggy Creek come in - nothing will save the red winter blobs we're still seeing - that is one of my summer faves, tho.

Robyn, how 'bout posting your salmon recipe - always looking for my omega-3's.

Sally Schneider, in her New Way to Cook, has a recipe for cilantro, mint, and basil oil that may take this batch since I have the other two herbs already in the fridge. Thanks, all....

In Austin as well, memesuze? My basil's potted so I brought it in for the last few nights. Just put it back out again this morning. Damned gnats came in with it - I didn't want to spray my poor plant before bringing it in.

Get yourself some pignoli, some parmigiano reggiano, some garlic, throw it in the food processor and make some pesto sauce or spread for bread.

If you do make pesto, don't forget to add EVOO, and salt + pepper. I would also chop the basil by hand rather than puree in food processor because basil takes an off taste when pureed.

You're so lucky to have all that basil. :smile:

If you do make pesto, don't forget to add EVOO, and salt + pepper. I would also chop the basil by hand rather than puree in food processor because basil takes an off taste when pureed.

You're so lucky to have all that basil. :smile:

Yeah, I forgot the EVOO. Its that flu delerium, you know. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd like the recipe, Robyn. My plant needs a good pruning and that meal sounds like just the ticket.

OK - you take a fillet of salmon - skin on bottom - and cut it into equal size servings (mine are usually about 7-8 ounces - relatively thick). Brush a good dose of olive oil on the bottom and top of the salmon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place salmon on tin foil (I use the precut squares). Cover top of salmon with grape (or cherry) tomatoes cut in half. Cover tomatoes with basil leaves (I usually use about 5-6 big leaves per salmon piece). Cover salmon with another sheet of precut foil and "make a packet" - leaving some room for air to expand. Bake in 500 degree oven. I cook for 17 minutes and get a "medium" salmon (not half raw - not dried out). Adjust the cooking time depending on your portion size and "doneness" preference. Slit open packet and serve (watch out when you cut - a lot of hot steam comes out).

I like to serve this with a dill sauce (half mayo, half sour cream, some lemon juice and lots of dill - fresh or otherwise) - some plain couscous - and a plain green veggie like peas (frozen). It's about the best looking meal I can put on the table in 30 minutes. Robyn

Also just a note about pesto. I make batches of it - and seal them in olive oil - and keep them in the refrigerator for several months. Sometimes the batches will get a little mold on the top - which you can scrape off with a knife. But - if you are using fresh garlic (I don't - I just use basil, cheese, pine nuts and oilive oil) - don't try to store pesto like this. Use it fairly soon after you make it. The garlic in oil is a great way to grow some very nasty anaerobic bacteria which can make you very very sick. Robyn

Try roasted chicken. Wiggle your fingers under the skin over the breast and down around the thighs and legs. Stuff the basil leaves in there, along with a few really thin slices of lemon. Salt and pepper on the outside, add whatever else you'd think you'd like, and pop the bird in the oven until it is cooked to you liking.

Serve with a little butter and garlic pasta, and dinner is done.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.