• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grassfed Lamb

rlibkind

Lamb that tastes like lamb!

I got the boneless leg at the Fair Food Farmstand at the Reading Terminal Market Friday, let it defrost in the fridge for two days, then used one of Mark Bittman's (How to Cook Everything) roast lamb recipies using a rub of crushed coriander seeds, black pepper, salt and pulverized garlic.

This grassfed lamb was produced, I believe, by Meadowook Farms. Wherever it's from, you can get it at the Fair Food Farmstand on Fridays and Saturdays at the RTM. They have a fairly decent selection of other cuts, too. All frozen.

While not excessively gamey, you won't mistake it for any other meat.

What was really nice was that the boneless leg, weighing in at about two pounds, was perfectly sized for three or four servings.

Edited to add price: $7 a pound for the boneless leg, which is pretty competitive with large producer grain-finished lambs.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

This grassfed lamb was produced, I believe, by Meadowook Farms.

Bob:

How does it compare with B&L Grassland Farms' lamb, which I understood was being sold at Fair Food? I get it all the time when Brent and Laurie set up shop at Headhouse Square for the Saturday Farmers Market. It's also grassfed, really terrific (their cute photos of the lambs in situ, including some showing their kids riding them, attest to the animals being free-range and well cared for; same goes for their beef, as well). I've seen Bryan Sikora there purchasing lamb for Django.

I believe B&L also shows up at other Farmers Markets around town.

This grassfed lamb was produced, I believe, by Meadowook Farms.

Bob:

How does it compare with B&L Grassland Farms' lamb, which I understood was being sold at Fair Food?

Can't really say, since I'm not even sure of the name of the lamb I bought -- I think it was Meadowbrook, but I'm far from certain. In any event, it's the only lamb I've purchased at Fair Food Farmstand, so I've got nothing with which to compare it.

But in the name of science, I'll have to try both!

Robert's Market Report

Update: It's Meadow Run farm.

According to the weekly e-mail Ann Karel puts out of what's available at the Fair Food Farmstand, they'll have all cuts except shanks this weekend. Ann says she buys whole lamb cut up, so she has heart and liver available, if anyone's interested. But the shanks are gone 'til the next lamb arrives.

Robert's Market Report

Yeah, that Meadow Run lamb is tremendous, isn't it? They were doing monthly deliveries over the winter, but that sorta dropped off. Maybe I'll head on over to RTM next weekend. After all, grilling season is upon us, and there's nothing better than grilled lamb...