• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gosling Gold Rum

beans

Gosling’s is set to launch its new Gold Rum later on this week – and is working on creating new products to keep expanding its lines.

Malcolm Gosling, president of Gosling’s Export (Bermuda) Ltd., on Thursday took the first bottles off the production line for sale this week.

This is the second new product to be launched this year, with a luxury cask-aged rum called “Old Rum” launched last month.

Article here.

• 1 year later...
Gosling’s is set to launch its new Gold Rum later on this week – and is working on creating new products to keep expanding its lines.

Malcolm Gosling, president of Gosling’s Export (Bermuda) Ltd., on Thursday took the first bottles off the production line for sale this week.

This is the second new product to be launched this year, with a luxury cask-aged rum called “Old Rum” launched last month.

Article here.

Anyone tried Gosling's Gold Rum? What's the verdict?

After reading the article, I ordered a bottle of the OLD rum. At $60.00 (yikes) I hope it's as good as the article and the Gosling's website make it out to be. The store I called also can get the GOLD rum, which I'll probably order in a few weeks as it's much less than the OLD.

Thanks for the post as I likely never would have known about the OLD rum and wouldn't have seen the GOLD anytime soon.

Kevin

http://www.blackseal.com/Editions/Oldrum/OldRum_2003.htm

Oldrum_2003.jpg

Edited by KOK (log)

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Gosling's Old Rum is quite good, the smoky body and mature flavor are pretty well-balanced, slightly dry in the finish but overall a nice sipping rum to enjoy after dinner with a cigar.

Goslin's Gold Rum is quite a departure from the dark, colored rums that have brought Gosling's international attention. Blended to be mixed, Gosling's Gold will make a good mixed drink and is a good addition to the Gosling's family of rums.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am on my bottle of Gosling's Gold. I would tend to agree with Mr. Hamilton's opinion. It is very different from Gosling's Dark. When I taste rum, I usually taste in one or more of the following ways: straight up, chilled (not with ice but with refrigerator), diluted 1-to-1 with water, a little water added, a splash of lime, and in several mixed drinks. I found in the 1st three ways that the nose has a slight maple note, and the taste is lighter and slightly caramel and less smooth than Gosling's Dark. I did not find it to be dry. I believe it to be great in mixed drinks such as Rum Punch and fruit juices (specifically of a lime-pineapple combination). I still like Gosling's Dark better.

Anyone else tasted it? I am curious to hear of their tasting impression.

Whit Roberts

Washington Metro., DC

I agree with Whit that the new Gold rum is less smooth than the Black Seal. It has a stronger aroma to me than the Black, but a lighter taste. I had a little neat and then mixed in a little coke and lime juice. Both tasted good.

I also like the Black Seal more than the gold, but I think the God will be good for a change of pace now and then. I also though the Gold might be more like a Bacardi or Cruzan gold, but to me it was totally different.

I also cracked open the Gosling Old rum. Very similar to the Black Seal, but with a much stronger aroma and a deeper taste. Very smooth to me. I don't know that it was worth $55 but I'm sure I'll only have this with a cigar now and then so it will last a long time.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06