• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raisins

kimmyb72

Yuck, blech, icky, gross

Especially when you were expecting chocolate. ewwwwwww

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Aaah, raisins have a special place in my heart, as my late grandmother's favorite sweet treat.

The only place I don't love raisins is in rice pudding; it's unappealing, how the brown of the raisin bleeds into the cream of the pudding.

But I love:

Raisins in Japanese fruit pie (which is not Japanese at all but distinctly of the American South): it's raisins, shredded coconut, and chopped pecans in a chess filling, and it's heaven.

Raisins in oatmeal cookies: chocolate chips in an oatmeal cookie are just wrong.

Raisins in fruitcakes: the raisins are where the boozy goodness resides

Raisins in Country Captain Chicken: the raisins are just the right foil for the curry.

Raisins in raisin-carrot-apple salad: this cafeteria-classic wouldn't have the requisite chew and sweetness without the raisins.

phaelon56 i went with soup today, a safe shoice! funny thing is i like those dried cranberries in my salad but the raisins are a negative.

I've tried the dried cranberries - even after plumping them up they still don't do it for me. I have a container of them in the cupboard just waitign to be used for something else. Perhaps in a stuffing the next time I cool a turkey?

I have a great recipe for chutney made with dried cranberries and dried apples; I make it almost every Thanksgiving. I've also made a cornbread stuffing with chopped (fresh) apples and dried cranberries -- it's better with pork than with turkey, though.

why anyone would add raisin to anything is beyond me. I can't stand the way they slither around my teeth. Who ever decided that raisins had any value. must have been a desperate grape grower with a really bad crop. The dam things are everywhere. ruining cinnamon buns, cookies, pilaf, carrot cake, banada bread, I'm forever picking them out of things.Give me a dried cranberry over the crappy raisin any day. Don't get me started on mushrooms.

that's another thing i can't deal with, that citron stuff. they put it in hot cross buns. gross!!

Dried citron is actually a legit dried fruit and not all that offensive. I think those yellow, green and red lumps appearing in many baked goods really isn't citron at all, but a lab experiment gone terribly, terribly wrong.

http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/...ssf?TERM=citron

Dried fruits of one sort or another were among mankind's first dependable foods and an easy quick energy source. They also figured prominently in mediaeval meat dishes, as they still do in the Near East. One may like them or not, but it's silly to condemn any of them out of hand as though they were recent inventions of Kellog's or General Mills.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Dried fruits of one sort or another were among mankind's first dependable foods and an easy quick energy source. They also figured prominently in mediaeval meat dishes, as they still do in the Near East. One may like them or not, but it's silly to condemn any of them out of hand as though they were recent inventions of Kellog's or General Mills.

Hey! Did someone give permission for reasonable talk on this thread while I wasn't looking? I thought this thread (OK, OK, except for my stupid linguistic digression, I'm SORRY already) was for expressing childish prejudices in high, whiny voices, like this:

Eeeeeeeewwwwwww!!!! :raz:

• 9 years later...

Which raisin variety is the best? Is there some sort of premium one I can get? I'm in London.

I want to use these for making a rum infusion. I did it before with red raisins which I think are better for infusions than the green raisins as the flavor has a fuller body, just like red wine and white wine. I used to get them at the Muslim market in Shanghai, where traders brought them from Xinjiang, in northwest China.

• 1 month later...

I used to hate them too but I love raisins now. I always add raisins to my macaroni salads and fruit salads. I also know of someone who hates raisins a lot. If he finds that a food has raisins, he removes them one by one. And if it's impossible to remove all the raisins, he just forgets about eating the food no matter how delicious it is.

I think one of the greatest solutions to avoid raisins is just to prepare your own food (cookies, bread, etc).

Edited by cookingdiva (log)

My Hungry Stomach - my personal food blog

Follow me on Twitter @YsabelaMeraz