• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic Geographies/Grocers in Northern New Jersey

I finally got around to taking a road trip for Thai and Middle Eastern ingredients.

Within my circle I stopped at Han Ah Reum, Terri Lee's, Udom, and Fattal's.

Han Ah Reum is not that great for Thai ingredients. Both Terri Lee and Udom were VERY small and ended up have less selection than Top Quality (formerly Maxim's) in Parsippany. I did time my visit to Terri Lee to coincide with the produce delivery and that was enjoyable - an open air produce 'market' behind the store.

Fattals kicked BUTT! The zatar didn't look like it was what I wanted (large container/different colors - still need to learn more) but the marinated chicken breasts were great and the house brand tahini was the best I've ever had. Eventually I hope to go back for some ground lamb, and, when I'm done low carbing, some baklava. The baklava looked mouthwatering.

Not sure where Northern NJ ends & Central NJ begins, but....

en route to a show at the Starland Ballroom last week, I passed what looked like a large Pakistani grocery. (Judging from crescent & star on sign.)

Store was on Rt. 615 South, on the left-hand side of the road, probably no more than 2 miles southwest of exit 123 on the GSP.

I didn't note its name, unfortunately, & have no idea if it's worth a drive.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845