• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Dad's 75th birthday soiree

sfbayx

Where is a good "reasonably" priced restaurant to house btwn 20-30 relatives for a 75th birthday? Our family usually either goes to San Mateo, Castro Valley or Oakland. We're at a loss where to try next. My dad is not picky where he eats and we want to do something special for him.

thanks in advance

Kathryn

Hmm... What cuisine are you looking for? If your dad isn't picky about food, then maybe a place with an outstanding view or some other interesting feature might be worth checking into. How much time do you have to plan the party?

We are not picky at all. Infact we are a bunch of Japanese Americans, well with the exception of my dad who is basically white and is an only child.. wow TMI there, sorry. We usually do the usual chinese or japanese. We are open to anything. Where is a good place with a view in San mateo or Oakland?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't know if you're still looking for places. In Oakland, maybe someplace like Oaktown in Old Oakland would be nice, seem special and probably still be reasonable. In San Francisco there is a cool French place called Le Zinc in Noe Valley. Great food, you can do tapas or full on entrees. That definitely feels like special occassion place. There is also the Caribbean place on Piedmont. Great food. Tropical theme feels special and exciting. Food is really good. I did a party for my husband there. It was great!