• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Delights Of Tawny Port

MiguelCardoso

Although this is definitely "Shhhhhh...." territory and it would be intensely counter-productive, price-wise, to popularize one of the world's greatest and most scandalously affordable pleasures, Michael Franz in the Washington Post (reg.required; but transcript follows) has let the cat out of the bag. Prices for the best Vintage Port are prohibitive nowadays (even for us Portuguese), but good old Tawny port is still the best and most delectable bargain for Brits and Americans. Why exactly is this so? Have most wine lovers never tried it? Is it difficult to obtain? Both reasons seem implausible, to say the least. What's your opinion on the matter? Really old Madeira is even more luscious, cheaper and hardier, but its "smoked" flavour" is perhaps less immediate. But 20-year-old or even cheap 10-year old Tawny ports? What's not to love?

Tawny ports are my favorites, mostly because I can't or will not pay what vintage port costs. But shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh otherwise the price will go up.

slowfood/slowwine

Sign me up as a Tawny Port fan. Just found a lovely one out in Napa at the Praeger Portworks. Bought their Noble Companion Tawny Port. It is absolutely marvelous. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I also love tawny port, but here in the U.S., we're not really a wine-drinking culture, let alone a port-appreciating culture. Probably an overall lack of education among other things. How many commercial tastings do you see where any port is being poured?

I have a friend, though, who drinks the stuff like it's water.

For age, I prefer 20-year old tawny. Older than that and it seems too over the top for me.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I'll let you in on a little secret...Galway Pipe Australian Tawny. The best.

I second this recommendation ... Yalumba produces this little gem of a Tawny Port.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I also love tawny port, but here in the U.S., we're not really a wine-drinking culture, let alone a port-appreciating culture.  Probably an overall lack of education among other things.

I've told this story elsewhere on eGullet, but it seems to fit nicely right here.

The way I figured out that there was no Santa Claus was when I got to thinking about the fact that at everyone else's house on Christmas Eve, they left out cookies and milk for Santa.

While at our house, we left out a selection of cheeses and a nice port.

Huuuummmm....Daddy's favorite.

And when I asked Daddy why that was, he said, "Well, Santa gets sick of all that sweet stuff."

Made sense, but still...... :hmmm:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm a huge fan of tawny ports. We buy vintage port to lie down, and occassionally, we'll buy a vintage port that's ready for drinking now, but for day to day port, tawny is awesome!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Don't go so much for Tawnys but find that Madeira makes an excellent alternative. The Henriques & Henriques 10yo Bual is a good alternative (although I prefer the drier Sercial). As I manage to get through quite a lot of the stuff I am restricted to the 10yo otherwise I would venture into 15yos.

• 4 weeks later...